myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looking for family/teaching windsurfer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fanntom43

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Looking for family/teaching windsurfer Reply with quote

Looking for new family board. I have a Kona1 and love it! Thought I might get a new one and relegate the old board for teaching/family use and abuse.Also might consider the new Windsurfer lt. Supposed to be great in light air and a better sup than the Kona.Also, the windsurfer class for racing more old fart, less tech friendly. Live in central Fla. and have access to a lot of lake sailing. I use the Kona for sailing, cruising the Indian river (icw) and gulf coast. Any one familiar with the new windsurfer? Interested in any feed back, pros and cons.Thanks in advance!
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Kona but have also tested the LT. If you are sailing regularly in winds under 15 mph, get the LT. The LT is much lighter so you get all the advantages that go with that. The LT is longer & has a much better centerboard so you have much better upwind angles.

The Kona starts to shine over the LT in stronger winds when you can regularly use the footstraps & bigger fin.

Coachg
AG80

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with coachg. I rented the Windsurfer in Clearwater and was fun to sail in the 5-15 mph winds. Very easy to sail and more maneuverable than the Kona. Shaped more like a windsup so would be fun to paddle flatwater and small waves. Would make a great all around board for 0-20 mph.
fanntom43

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect! That is what I was hoping for. Thank you both for your input. Plus it's a little cheaper.
dhmark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say I haven't tried it yet as a wsurfer, but possibly the cheapest thing out there is Chinook inflatable SUP with 2 US fin boxes and mast base screw insert. My kids spend all their time so far SUP, haven't yet made them try windsurfing option. It seems strictly for getting beginners going, and the fins are tiny, but you could put a longer US base fin in the mid position. Not as good as the other options, but definitely cheap.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
I have the Kona but have also tested the LT. If you are sailing regularly in winds under 15 mph, get the LT. The LT is much lighter so you get all the advantages that go with that. The LT is longer & has a much better centerboard so you have much better upwind angles.

The Kona starts to shine over the LT in stronger winds when you can regularly use the footstraps & bigger fin.

Coachg

Good to know
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:

Coachg

Unfortunately, some of this isn't true. LT is slightly longer, a little wider, and has a few more liter volume. They weigh the same. Kona planes in 12 with class rig. We're pretty sure that LT won't do that. The upwind angle thing is very doubtful, but we'll let y'all know for certain shortly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: