myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Infinity 76 wing first thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lines aren't hugely long (Chinook 28") but generally they will fall free immediately if I relax pressure and it takes a little knee bend to scoop them up if I'm already flying.
If I was using a seat harness for foiling (I don't for a variety of reasons) I'd want significantly longer lines still.

In the beginning getting in the harness was essential for any sort of controlled flying. Generally I also rigged too large then as well.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always hook in foiling, nose high booms, 24" lines, Speed Seat harness.
Gotta jump 6" to get out for wind lulls, just like ws.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Gotta jump 6" to get out for wind lulls, just like ws.

If I ever have to jump (or squat) to engage or disengage the hook when WSing, my setup is wrong and I drop in the water to adjust something. I absolutely insist on instantaneous, effortless, autonomic (no brain involvement) hook usage because disengaging is a safety measure when blasting far off the wind, and engaging instantly is extremely rewarding when driving upwind. I'm usually switching between those modes every couple of seconds -- often more often than that -- when there's ANY terrain to work with.

And that's in very steady winds.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same setup for slogging, planing, and ripping turns.
Good for you!
It eludes me. Even dtl surfsailing, gotta slide feet in and out...unhook riding and hook heading out.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are copy and pasting your WS setup onto a foil then hoping it'll work. Not saying it can't, but the people finding foiling an easy transition aren't taking that approach.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suspect a pure freestyle set works pretty well, with only slightly higher booms.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the 50 odd foilers I know, there is no "easy" transition.
Wyatt and Kevin took a score of hours to get stable flight and jibes.
In my 36 odd foiling days, so far, 20 hours would be generous.
Don't learn much slogging.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stable flight with the current crop of gear is maybe a 5-10 hour process at most. Gybing more like a +100 hour process at least unless a person is already a superb gyber.
Gwarn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: The wing Reply with quote

I must say that the Infinity 76 is brilliant design wise only god knows how many hundreds of hours and years of testing and prototypes it took to give birth to this wing. Thanks, Tony.

I have progressed to a point where I feel that upgrading my equipment will make my time on the water more pleasurable and satisfying. My next problem is that I'm a Treasure Island outcast and the only foiler there. So I don't real have any input other then the internet and the phone. Also 90% of the shops selling wind foiling gear are kiter and they attempted to answer my questions the best they could or would try to sell me kit I didn't need or want. So after counted wasted hours groveling over page after page of foiling marketing hype with only a random page with ture technical info. With that I liked what I saw in the Moses foils so I called Sailworks more then once and they always made time to answer my questions They are ture craftsman and not salesman also they are windsurfers and sail everything the sell. They are true gentleman Thank you, Sailworks

Back to the wings my foil setup is 76 on the 105 sailing 16 to 30 mph Both the board and the foil are tanks I need a crane to carry it so I got the Moses 790 wing, 900 fuselage ,450 stabilizer and the 105 mast ***( Sailworks will build you any configuration you want from moses line up.)*** When the box came it felt like nothing was in it that's how lite this thing is. Now after sailing the 790 it rocks hand down she popped up just as easy as the 76 and is much more nimble (not squirrely) and quiet no singing.I'm not using the 105 mast as the SS105 wizard is a Medium tuttle (whatever that is?) So it on the ghost whisper 101. I'll get around to changing the box I just don't what to miss any days.

As to what I think of the 790 so far so good the slingshot hover is no longer in the van... More to come

790d.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  944.66 KB
 Viewed:  5114 Time(s)

790d.jpg

790c.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  650.81 KB

790c.jpg

790b.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  667.6 KB

790b.jpg

790a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  524.33 KB

790a.jpg

bert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
Thanks for the intel on your new foil..very nice. That carbon foil (or something similar) and a good lightweight foilboard (16 lbs) that's good in 10-25 mph is on my list for the next season and beyond. I agree with your praise on Bruce and his crew at Sailworks..they are on the same wavelength as us windsurfers and have never gone to the dark side (kiting) Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 18 of 24

Jump to: