myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 267, 268, 269 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerritt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously doubt you could make Greyhound rock from the spot in a half an hour. Wednesday was a good day for beating to weather with all that wind. I'd go for a trip from the spot to Waddell on the right conditions with a partner (and a radio?), but I was alone and it gets kind of spooky. So, Scott's was far enough. Do you carry a radio on your adventures?
windward1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, actually, he said 35 minutes, so slightly more than a half hour. Still seems pretty remarkable. And I think he said the starting point was The Spot and not Scott Creek. I will ask about that, next time I see him.

If you want spooky, sail that forbidding coast up from Scott's. Or off of China Ladder.

And I had another windsurfer tell me Greyhound Rock area was sharky. But I do not know if he saw anything or just heard the music...

No, I do not carry a radio or bagged cell phone. I do take water in a Camelback. And extra lengths of line in the pocket on the Camelback.
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject: 2019-08-08 Sunset Beach & 2019-08-10 Palm Beach Reply with quote

Well, I thought I was done with the most difficult part of this Santa Cruz County coastal quest when I finished the northern coast. I was wrong. The last three days have been the most frustrating, tortuous windsurfing (or not as the case may be) days that I can remember. After finishing the China Ladder to Waddell section early in the afternoon on Thursday and going home, I went out and tried to get a bit of the south county coast taken care of as there seemed to be some wind at what I had called a "no wind" place. It measured only 6 knots at Sunset Beach, so I rigged my Ezzy 7.0 Cheetah. Might have been 6 at the beach, but it was near twenty outside and outside started about 25 yards from the beach. I was way overpowered and getting rocked by the gusts and steep wind waves. The wind was violently turbulent. Went out and went back in.
got a fraction of a mile covered in the southward direction. Track is below.
Friday I went to Sunset again as three different sources said there would be wind there. There was not. All rigged and suited up with no where to go. Binoculars showed wind trying to get into the beach, but it was not making it.
Today launched at Palm Beach with wind blowing 13 knots from the northwest. Except it died while trying to launch. And while the waves were small, they were at about a 5 second period and without wind I just got pummeled down the beach. Wind seemed like a bit was there if I could just get outside the break. Finally swam it out. But difficult to not get knocked back in by the waves. A bit of wind came up from the southeast and I was able to sail out past most of the surf. Then the wind died again. I sat on my board and waited. The wind came in occasional puffs that varied from east to south to west to north leaving little partial circle wavelets coming from all directions. I would get a run of forty yards sometimes, only to have the wind die. Or a strong puff show up out of no where and knock me over. Finally some wind came back up from the northwest. I sailed up the coast to where I had left off from Thursday's jaunt from the north and then headed back downwind on a broad reach. During this time the wind would blow from the high teens to half that. I could see strong wind on the water 40 yards away sometimes while where I was was quiet. Just glad to get back to the beach. Lucky I went back when I did as the wind totally died when I landed.
All three hair bands were knocked out of my pony tail by the time I landed. Plus an aching toe and a sore left shoulder.
I am scratching and biting for every inch of coast on this portion of the trek. And all the time it looks like it should be a couple hours of a beam reach in light winds. Not. Track below.
[img][/img][img][/img]

2019-08-08 Windsurfing Sunset.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.24 MB
 Viewed:  10013 Time(s)

2019-08-08 Windsurfing Sunset.png

2019-08-10 Windsurfing Palm Beach.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  929.19 KB
 Viewed:  10013 Time(s)

2019-08-10 Windsurfing Palm Beach.png

dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Aug 12 Crissy Reply with quote

Almost perfect Crissy day! Almost perfect because the wind stayed outside of Point Anita. But otherwise strong all the way to the north tower and steady Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Love the Hot Sail Maui KS3 4.3 Cool Cool Cool best high wind sail I ever had
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, too bad it's outgoing tide week for Berkeley and the east bay.
Add in light NW coast wind, inland heat, and it spells light, short period wind with major dying and dead holes.
Formula for good stick and Crissy.
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Third 8/13/19 Reply with quote

Was most excellent - powered on 4.5 with steady NW wind and ebb conditions. Rollers in the waist high zone with good shape made for a fun skate park. I busted out the shorty wetsuit and was plenty warm. Boardshorts and a rash guard would have been fine on the inside.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough day at Berkeley Wed.
While reading decent at 1:30, reality was 1-4, then 5 seconds of 10-18, followed by minutes of 1-4 again.
5 seconds of wind gets me foiling about 200 yards, then scramble out of straps to survive breeze that has me slogging with the sail leaned to leeward to stay aboard.
Do that for an hour and a half and it's lots of work.
All while TI is reading 17-25, so 2' hightide windswells.
Errrrrr....I hate windfoiling!
Or is it I hate heatspell wind?
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Tough day at Berkeley Wed.
While reading decent at 1:30, reality was 1-4, then 5 seconds of 10-18, followed by minutes of 1-4 again.
5 seconds of wind gets me foiling about 200 yards, then scramble out of straps to survive breeze that has me slogging with the sail leaned to leeward to stay aboard.
Do that for an hour and a half and it's lots of work.
All while TI is reading 17-25, so 2' hightide windswells.
Errrrrr....I hate windfoiling!
Or is it I hate heatspell wind?

Best rule of windsurfing: never look back ... aka never look at your cell phone. Enjoy what you have without thinking about what it could have been (especially at TI) Very Happy

Opening my foil season today ... wish me luck!
bert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Haskin's on Friday Reply with quote

Enjoyable session at Haskin's at 1 pm today. 5.0 Volt and 100L RRD. The climb down the embankment wasn't too bad. The climb back up after my hour session was a bit of a challenge. Back in the day I would just toss the entire rig on my head and scurry up the hill..shit! Old age is a bitch Crying or Very sad

Haskin's on Friday.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.46 MB
 Viewed:  8832 Time(s)

Haskin's on Friday.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.0 Berkeley after 2:30, nice starboard jumps heading out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 267, 268, 269 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 268 of 329

Jump to: