myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Life is a cycle - new board hands me my @rse like a newbie
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not meant to make fun of anyone.

only meant encourage.

friend of mine did not know the finer nuances of pumping until quite later in his windsurfing experience. he had not been coached or schooled....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offence take with me - I am a lazy pumper(no double entendre intended) and this is also something I have to focus on. I have the Exocet X-Longboard that makes this type of chaos easy(though I do not have it where I am sailing atm) - now paying the price to get into a board that will take a foil. Thanks for all the multi-faceted responses - got some things to try and also I am going to dig out the 9.6 S-Type North I retired and find out what the damage was that forced the retirement and see if I can repair it for now. Cheers!
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding your strap entry while sheeting out, drop that habit. Sheeting out reduces mast base pressure. This reduction will create less lift from the tail. You need lift in order to counteract the shift aft of your own foot pressure/body weight. Sheeting out also slows the board, doubling your issue.
konajoe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pumping technique is a contributor. Watch a few videos of Olympic racers. Pumping is not sheeting in and sheeting out. (I guess bad pumping is). Gotta start your pumping with your feet where they are going to end up. If you're marginal, and you move your feet after barely getting on a plane, you'll lose it.
wsatl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find this worthwhile: https://www.windsurf.co.uk/peter-hart-up-and-riding-in-a-flash/

A lot of good stuff in general and especially this near the end:

Quote:
KNOWING YOUR BOARD – THE ENTRY POINT QUESTION
Crusty windies from another era have been bamboozled by the planing quirks of modern kit. Back in the day boards were up to 4m long and had a constant rocker line. To plane you made the long journey to the tail, via several sets of straps, stopping for tea and Kendall mint cake on the way, as the board gradually lifted out. To move back a moment to soon was to sink the narrow tail and stall immediately. Above all else you stayed forward. Today, many boards will not plane if you stand too far forward. On the shorter, racier models, the entry point, where the board first makes contact with the water, is only just in front of the straps. If you stand in front of it, you push a curved section of board into the water and stop it gliding. It’s a case of, get into the straps in order to plane. On your own board, feel for that entry point by playing around with the front foot position. A inch forward and back is critical to the trim.
[/quote]
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, wsatl - this resonates with me, esp the last part as you say. I have discovered that small incremental movements are required in a smaller area of the board. The conditions continue to be marginal for the gear and my weight. Am taking possession of a super cruiser next week - something to add to the learning curve. Thanks for all the ideas have taken them on board and tried most of them out.
jpf18

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wernerhickey wrote:
I think I am definitely doing that little sheet out thing.

One thing that came to mind: you could try moving the boom higher (Not drastically, one inch increments). That way you'll force yourself to hang off the boom more and possibly maintain mast pressure.
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to report in. It hit fierce 10-11 knots today - success with the SB Super Cruiser. tried all of the suggestions - they all helped in such marginal conditions(thanks) and I was able to increase board speed to where I took my first flight on the foil - around 200 meters. I did have to change my approach to being more upright and over the board. The moving the boom a bit higher was also significant I feel as was being back further when I pumped. I also moved the mast track back - thanks wasti, interpreted this from the article you pasted. Feels good to have that monkey off my back!
wsatl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wernerhickey wrote:
Back to report in. It hit fierce 10-11 knots today - success with the SB Super Cruiser. tried all of the suggestions - they all helped in such marginal conditions(thanks) and I was able to increase board speed to where I took my first flight on the foil - around 200 meters. I did have to change my approach to being more upright and over the board. The moving the boom a bit higher was also significant I feel as was being back further when I pumped. I also moved the mast track back - thanks wasti, interpreted this from the article you pasted. Feels good to have that monkey off my back!

Yay! Thanks for sharing your success. It keeps getting more fun from here. Keep it up!
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like our boards have at least three steering wheels (roll, sheeting angle, and rig rake), there are at least three ways to manage fore'n'aft weight distribution (move our feet fore'n'aft, shift our weight fore'n'aft without moving our feet, and load the mast foot through the harness. (There are other techniques, but they're more subtle and transient, such as pushing down on the boom or pulling up on a strap.) Each of those has its place in any given reach or turn, and it's usually much simpler, quicker, and natural to shift our cg (aka hips) back and forth than to take feets out of straps and take a hike when we want to plane quicker, turn, or otherwise change the status quo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: