myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why a sail that pulls does not necessarily have power
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both 190lbs., as heavier meant lots of barely planing days.
Finian, Antoine, and Bjorn were bigger, but failed in races under 24mph gusts.
Dave Leurs of North was 245.
A few buds were 235.
Good bud Dave Meggesy was 265. Arizona Cards mob 20 lbs lighter.
But none approached 275 lbs Fat Dave.
johnarmitage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved here in '96, but had sailed since '88 on the upper east coast, hatteras, and midwest.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Meggysey was a fascinating guy, and a Berkeley irregular for some time when I got to know him. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Meggyesy

Lives on an island in Puget Sound the last time I checked.

He was nowhere near 265 in his prime; linebackers had to be fast. He once told me that nobody really lifted weights when he was in college and the pros. They thought it made them too bulky, less agile and slow. How times have changed. When I knew him he was about 6'4" and maybe 215-220.

Great sailors come in all sizes. Steve Sylvester is about 5'9" and maybe 160. Xavier Ferlet is about 5'10" and less than 175. Phil McGain in his prime was maybe 190, and got down under 180 when he started doing triathlons. And then there is Robbie Nash. So for the big guys--Bjorn and Antoine Albeau--there are smaller guys who rock. In big winds, taller and heavier has an advantage, but the ability to remain near top speed in varying wind conditions is what wins races.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We both met Dave at least 10 years after his playing days,
When I sold him the 135 liter board, he sunk it nose and tail upqhauling, then one or the other would pop up.
Ever shake his hand? He was a giant, like Steve S blown up to 6'4" but kinda fat by '04, last I saw him.
Good woodworker, loved carving and shaving with his classic tools.
When we talked about football, he would politely smile that knowing smile, abstain from any quips, then recover with a straight face,
215? When I was sailing with him, he'd smile at my guess of 245...by '04, he'd gotten bigger.
Jim, you are 210
He was +30 easy wider.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, my recognition of time is so out of whack.
I remember he was pro when I was a highschooler.
But they say he's 8 years older than me.
Just like the manager of a sports store in Pinole.
He is one year my junior, yet his graduating class is FIVE years after mine
That is too wierd!
I was fall 65
He said he was class of 70.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
We both met Dave at least 10 years after his playing days,
When I sold him the 135 liter board, he sunk it nose and tail upqhauling, then one or the other would pop up.
Ever shake his hand? He was a giant, like Steve S blown up to 6'4" but kinda fat by '04, last I saw him.
Good woodworker, loved carving and shaving with his classic tools.
When we talked about football, he would politely smile that knowing smile, abstain from any quips, then recover with a straight face,
215? When I was sailing with him, he'd smile at my guess of 245...by '04, he'd gotten bigger.
Jim, you are 210
He was +30 easy wider.

I remember that guy! That dude was a large human being.

As part of the rig small contingent, I enjoy squeezing the efficiency, power, and speed out of a smaller sail and enjoying the handling benefits of short booms. Also, I like a high draft and high boom to control it. I'm a fan of the big triangle, although I tend to ride with the mast track quite far back, too. This is just my personal preference for my style of windsurfing. YMMV

I find my sails (S2 Maui Jester Freestyle), have a lot of usable, comfortable range and can be rigged to suit whatever power band you prefer. Even rigged with a lot of rotation and a tight leech and not a lot of outhaul, I can generate a lot of drive. Despite the small sail and multi fins, I'm reasonably fast. Sure, I'd be faster with outboard straps, bigger sail, slalom fin, etc... and that kind of setup is really fun to jump, but I like freestyle, slashing and riding swells, and jibing.

I saw some video of my sailing a few years ago and was surprised to see how much induced twist was in the head of my freestyle sail when loaded even though it looked pretty tight statically.

I sailed my 3-batten wave sail the other day, and it must be rigged differently to maximize handling and feel.

that's one of the great things about the Duotone Power.XT extensions with the integrated downhaul ratchet. You can adjust the downhaul on your sail in the water. It's really great for dialing in new sails, and it makes it relatively easy to experiment with new downhaul settings. You might just find one you prefer or might just confirm that you've been right all this time!

https://www.sunsetsailboards.com/collections/duotone-mast-extensions

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Dave was a giant trapped in a short body..6' 4" and his hands were double mine while his shoes were only 14's, but x wide.
That's why he always smiled at my high school football stories, me playing JV at 100 lbs., and senior year varsity at 120.
johnarmitage

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may know Brian Marshall, airline pilot who sails at 3rd (and flies the Maui run for United, with all the expected benefits). ~6'1" and 280 lbs, but not fat, just solid as a fireplug. Played hockey. Brian's got a storehouse of used gear as well, I have a board and two booms from him.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, Brian is an old bud from the '90's.
Last I saw of him was using Formula boards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: