myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ARUBA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trey.olney

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: ARUBA Reply with quote

I have been to Aruba 6 times but never in December. I'm a confident sailor who sails Hatteras, Costa Rica and the Gorge and usually sail way outside in the blue highway when in Aruba. I see December is one of the least windy months. I weigh 185. If you had to bring one board and one sail what option would you choose?

Option 1: 95 liter Mistral AB slalom board and a Naish NOA 6.4 no cambered slalom sail.

Option 2: 130 liter Real Wind Carbon Fish and a 7.6 Naish Boxer SL
dcharlton

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is the 130ltr. Water is flat, no waves, you mind as well get as MUCH planning as you can while you can.

Have fun dodging the turtles!

DC
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been going to Puerto Rico in Dec for 9 years now, and half the days are planable with 5.5, me 160 lbs.
102 liter board, and we stay on the NE shore.
astromike47

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello - Early Feb 2020 Ill have a day each in Oranjestad, Aruba & Kralendijk, Bonaire. Appreciate any info on where I can rent WS gear in either. thx, AstroMike
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing Aruba is at Fisherman's Huts where the terrain is relatively open. Haven't used Vela, which is closer to the big hotels. Jibe City and Windsurf Place are side-by-side on Lac Bay, Bonaire. Choose based on your gear preference..
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Bonaire (which has better conditions imho) both rental centers are excellent. Last time I was there (two years ago) Jibe City was opening an hour before Windsurf Place. If that's still the case and you like to get on the water early, it's a reason to go with Jibe City. But they're both excellent. I read that Bjorn Dunkerbeck opened a center there...don't know anything about it.

I would choose Bonaire over Aruba. Have been to both 10x +. Better windsurfing, and the island is not overcrowded. Excellent restaurants. (meanwhile 20 years ago for their travel issue I wrote the "Why I Love Aruba" article for Windsurfing Magazine.

https://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/2007/02/why_i_love_arub_1.html

But if you're choosing, go to Bonaire. .02

Brian_S

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Michael on this one. I've been to both places - Bonaire about 10 times. I didn't care for the squirrely, offshore winds in Aruba, or the feeling of being in Florida.

The Dunkerbeck Center opened in Bonaire last year (I think) and has new gear, but not a lot of it. It's a smaller center within the Sorobon Beach Resort. If you're staying at Sorobon, then it might be convenient.

Also, the Franz brothers opened a windsurf center at the north end of Lac Bay, where the locals windsurf. I think they also just opened last year and focused more on teaching than on rentals, so they didn't have a lot of rental gear as of Feb 2019. They were foiling and teaching foiling too. I'll be there in about three weeks and provide an update if you're interested.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: