myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Slingshot 105 Wizard
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwarn wrote:
I'm still riding the 105 till the end of the season then the plan is to install a new deep tuttle box and keep the board in the quiver as a back up. As far a a upgrade I'm still on the fence as I'm planning on pumping out a few of my own designs this winter...

As far as the soft deck between the footstraps I think it's unavoidable because that's where your constantly doing the dance with your rear foot as you are craving downwind.

Look forward to seeing your designs. Does it involve chopping up a old windsurf board Very Happy
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Which is why a no nose is UNimportant and just fashion!
Plus, how many of you are doing air freestyle tricks on your foil?
You want to risk ripping yourself open?
Or your finbox?

The nose seems pretty useless(unimportant) if you have some decent wind, I actually think it can get in the way when riding waves, especially if the distance between waves is small. For light wind days I can see how the nose helps to get going and give some glide before the board rises. It helps with tacks too Laughing but gybing is more fun anyways!
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends who foil jibe well use their big boards in winds up to 25,on 3.7 sized sails, and have no problems.
One went to SS 105, and appears no gains.
He's not looping, flakking, or aerial flipping, so why no nose?
I think he did when freestyling on normal freestyle windsurf boards.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My go-to foil board is 230cm, the next will be 210cm. Both are also used as general bump and jump/FSW boards. I have no interest in foil specific boards or GPS speeds/racing. I just want to carve, on a swell if possible. If it's blowing 20 I'd rather use a fin 9 times out of 10 unless the wind quality sucks.

That said I love the shorter lengths in the air and it's got nothing to do with gybing. So I've spent a very few pennies on an old AVS 26 which is going to get the stubby treatment along with shifting the mast track waaay back. It should closely mimic the SB FOILX for a total investment as dinner and a movie.
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
My friends who foil jibe well use their big boards in winds up to 25,on 3.7 sized sails, and have no problems.
One went to SS 105, and appears no gains.
He's not looping, flakking, or aerial flipping, so why no nose?
I think he did when freestyling on normal freestyle windsurf boards.

A bigger board is going to be effected more by gusts. Another factor that depends on conditions and how steep the waves are but a longer board is going to catch more foiling down waves into the next crest, for flat water can't see this being a problem. Not saying your friends don't foiling well in strong wind on a bigger board. But I imagine ones skills could become better on a smaller board that's more nimble that gives you more direct control over the foil. That could be a reason you friend is struggling more on the 105 because he is used to a bigger board that isn't as sensitive to foot placement. If I was going to have one board for all condition yes the jp 135 is great but as someone who is always looking to progress in this new sport I feel a smaller board would be a asset. In the future 5'10 boards will seem long lol.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your comment would do well in promotion and advertising.
Note these guys, not me, foil up to almost 30 mph winds.
Unless you're air timing it, I see it as a bad idea.
fathomfathom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No nose
Cons:
-harder to get going in marginal wind
-harder to tack
-harder to recover from an accidental breach nose touch down
Pro:
-much less swing weight (1 ft off feels huge when flying , same board/construction).
-lighter board, also much less swing weight, easier to carry in/out of the water esp if shorebreak
-much more responsive board esp. if you're doing WWF , all the more important in smaller waves and shorter periods swells/waves
bert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starboard has come out with a 105L foilboard (deep tuttle) thats 182 cm by 63 cm wide..seems to have a bit more nose than the SS 105 (178 cm by 76 cm)

2020-Starboard-Foil-X-105-Flax-Balsa-01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  103.9 KB
 Viewed:  11247 Time(s)

2020-Starboard-Foil-X-105-Flax-Balsa-01.jpg

Gwarn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: 105 Reply with quote

Quote:
My friends who foil jibe

Wow, Dlee you have friends who can foil jibe.

Back to to nose thing at least for me saling out in the middle of the bay (The Slot) and beyond the no nose is a life saver. It can get very choppy and confused with the tall mast and short board you don't stuff the nose driving upwind or have to constantly do the dance up and down to avoid stuffing it. As far as off the wind riding swell it's a no-brainer shorter turns quicker hand down and I'm way past the breaching issue. It's not any harder to get going in marginal wind if you have the right size sail and or know how to pump the sail and board at the same time.

At 200+ I can sail 105 with a 3.8 as low a 16 mph waterstarting only.

In this picture it's lite 14 to 18 mph and was sailing a 3.8 Most everything is about refining your technique just as it is in windsurfing.

Ya that's a seal sleeping in the background on the foil you can sneak up on them.
Shocked

seal sleeping.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  406.89 KB
 Viewed:  11168 Time(s)

seal sleeping.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quote was to eliminate me, big opinions, little foiling skills, from the equation. I sit around a lot and watch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: