myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foil faster than slalom
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was thinking of a KS-2 600 sq cm front wing for my Naish WS-1 setup for higher top speeds and wind over 15mph.
Still gotta check on mounting compatibility, but aside from shorter nose, COE seems centered at front mounting screw, same as WS-1.
I hate donking around at 10-17 mph speeds just like my 76 and Glide M friends.
One other friend uses a 600 sq cm front wing, and he's freeride windsurf speed but no stability.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Yes, a fast foiler on a 500-800 sq cm front wing will blow doors on slow windsurfers every time.

Quite an ignorant comment. Follow the link in the original post, click on the names of the sailors, and you can see their PBs. Boz, for example, has done more than 40 knots earlier this month. He does 35+ knots on a regular basis. I have sailed slalom and speed races with him and other guys from the same team. Boz is faster than most of the guys who finished in the top 10 at the OBX Wind long distance race last year, and he's not the fastest sailor on the team. That's an event where about 200 windsurfers competed, including a few dozen guys on full slalom gear.
This is an example where fast foilers on race foils beat the speed of very fast windsurfers on slalom gear.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suspect you are ignorant.
Poor performance is poor sailing.
Rig bigger, time your run better, use a bigger board, whatever, going that slow is a bad performance.
Worse, it doesn't show real world comparison speeds.
Small sample.
And manipulated data.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe YOU are trying to fool us?
You're promoting foil by misleading us as to real speeds.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys I sail with are hitting quite a bit faster numbers with the 76cm than you're seeing Dlee. I just picked one up to replace my H2 so perhaps I'll finally bother to try for some speed on the foil.

I know at least 2 people who've done 25kts on SB foils and that was in conditions you wouldn't even plane a slalom board, let alone sail the angles they can.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#'s is bs because it posts only that tailor's speed.
Some of you have to actually open your eyes and look what's happening on the water.
Comparing a powered foiler to a slogging Antoine tells us nothing.
Yes- in true 8mph wind- a foiler is faster than windsurfing and that might apply up to 12. A.
My comma moved under my n.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropped my phone, tried wd-40 and tape, and settings changed.
wsatl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Bull Tarifa 2: First two places: windfoil Dunkerbeck sailed a splashy board and came in behind. Yeah, Costa-Hoevel and Kordel are PWA but Dunkerbeck still isn't a slouch on a slalom board. The foilers even beat a kitefoiler. Admittedly, female kiter so not as fast as top men but since kiters have been spanking windsurfers in most of these races in recent years, still notable.

https://www.surfertoday.com/kiteboarding/kitesurfers-beat-windsurfers-in-red-bull-tarifa-2

Foilers may not have the top speed of the top slalom guys but aren't necessarily much slower in lower wind events. Foiling through a jibe and not having to worry as much in lulls is a big deal in real life speed not just a GPS event on a strip of dead flat water.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local (Seattle) long distance race around Mercer Island, all recreational sailors mostly raceboard, a few formula and last two years foils.
Record was set years back by a modified Div2 board, formula not even close to touching it. First year for foils they weren't close.
The record holder now quite a bit older beat the record on a Slingshot H2 last year. This year (it's a Fall thing) I'm guessing lots of foils might beat that old time.

So add VMG (or just a sturdy tide) into the mix and foils are much faster.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could wind speeds affect this?
Certainly, in 12 to 20, most windsurfers cannot maintain speed thru jibes at the lower end, yet go faster in the upper end,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: