myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
gear in van
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wavedave38

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: gear in van Reply with quote

Anyone have any insight /experience with keeping windsurf boards and all other gear in a van full time especially when it gets very hot and inside temps get above 100 degrees like during summer months.
Is there a chance for board delamination or would taking out air plugs eliminate that problem all together , keeping gear in solid condition.
Thanks for feedback
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dedicated WSing van contained all my gear for decades in New Mexico at ambient temps from 20s to over 100 ... sometimes 20 to 80 on the same day. I also drove over the continental divide many of those days, with snow on the van in the AM and sailing in 80-degree water that afternoon. Never touched my vent plugs, never had a problem. Two things that helped were a white van and a simple carport I built just to shade it. Those two kept inside temps pretty near outside temps.

SEARCH the topic for MANY posts on it.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep boards in my van, the ones I may use at that location, so not all.
The difference of opinion on vent screws in or out, has never been resolved.
Interesting that my more recent boards have a gore Tex , self breather plug.
Also that some boards don’t or ever had any vent screws.
AFAIK, the screw is to allow presser not to build, as in a Boeing 747, or driving over mountain passes , as here in Colorado that are 12000 feet above sea level.

Given the time required to remove and replace, duh, take it out, and like you remember to install pants each day, do the same with the screw.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
flaherty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was in the never remove vent plug group, myself for years. Till I left a beloved board in my car in Kauai. The board delamed shortly after that, and was very difficult to replace. So now I remove the vent plug, install it in the Chinook mast base, that mounts to the board, close the sliding lever , and it stays there , won't come out. So it's foolproof, have to install the rubber part of the mast base to sail, so I never forget. I'm a bit leery of the newer vents that breath. How do you know they are not leaking ? I learned a long time ago, just because it's newer in windsurfing gear, doesn't mean it's better !
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flaherty wrote:
Well, I was in the never remove vent plug group, myself for years. Till I left a beloved board in my car in Kauai. The board delamed shortly after that, and was very difficult to replace. So now I remove the vent plug, install it in the Chinook mast base, that mounts to the board, close the sliding lever , and it stays there , won't come out. So it's foolproof, have to install the rubber part of the mast base to sail, so I never forget. I'm a bit leery of the newer vents that breath. How do you know they are not leaking ? I learned a long time ago, just because it's newer in windsurfing gear, doesn't mean it's better !

True, and look at us as examples, about old vs new .

windward1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H'mmm....not sure that makes your case.....Wink
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
H'mmm....not sure that makes your case.....Wink

While I have upmost respect someone who has been on the forum longer than me, especially the stamina to remain, clicky smiley face, grin ear to ear, like vintage wine , olde cars, some of us may be beyond our sell by date, that in no way hampers our enthusiastic life style. I don’t care if I just discovered why my solar calculator works better at times , I’ve stoped trying to stop my VCR from blinking, and I still get my hair cut at a barber shop.
Luv Ya

swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the time at Bob's Beach in Stevenson where the rearview mirror in my Chevy Van fell off my windshield. It was 105 degrees that day. Nevertheless, regardless of conditions over many years, I always kept my vent plugs in place. I only loosened them going over higher elevations. Overall, I've never had a problem, and that's since 1992 when I bought my first epoxy board with a vent plug.

However, if you have a problem where water has entered a board in a notable way, all bets are off. In that situation, you are doomed to screwing around with opening and closing your vent plug.
rtz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like has been said; a white van; keep it in the shade as much as possible; keep the windows down an inch so the breeze or wind flows through.

Depending on the type of van you drive; you can make or buy a prop that holds the rear door open an inch or so and you can still lock it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Door-Prop/142911830647?hash=item2146357a77:g:jOgAAOSwPfhbe0S8
rtz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the one I made for my NV out of stuff from the garage. If I was concerned I would stack up some lock nuts on the u-bolt; but where I sail my vehicle is always in view.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: