myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Odd experience with 2016 Neilpryde Monofilm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Odd experience with 2016 Neilpryde Monofilm Reply with quote

Hi uv-radiated friends,

I have recently acquired a 2016 TheFly 4.8 (fantastic sail) from Vela Baja California. Although the monofilm is still transparent (a few scratches), it's started to crack not during but after my sessions! Although there aren't any single cracks or wrinkles in it. One day, I noticed a crack, then a couple more. I leave it rigged without tension. At first I thought people walking by were damaging the sail but I have a hard figuring out how? Nothing happens if I am to press on it.

I'm in doubt whether I should apply some longer pieces of tape or simply try to catch up with the cracks when they show up... odd!

Anyone witnessed something similar? I've owned many different sails including Neilpryde and I've never seen this...

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s fantastic but it’s self destructing .
It’s a NP, from 2016 and
It came from a rental center, and
It’s used .
It was made with a substandard material , that escaped someone in the chain of production.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon a really really close look, there seems to be tiny cracks like the ones found in clear plastic when it becomes brittle from sun exposure. I find it a bit odd that they go from super tiny to just breaking suddenly without creasing first.

Regardless, the rest of the sail seems to be in good shape, I taped the crap out of the monofilm to reinforce the area that gets stressed the most and we'll see how long the rest of it lasts...

The panel does seem easy to replace and maybe that's just part of the deal. Maybe, I should have bought one that already had the panel replaced then?

Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Odd experience with 2016 Neilpryde Monofilm Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
Hi uv-radiated friends,

Anyone witnessed something similar? .

Yes.
I have 2001 Sailworld monofilm sail which is still very usable.
Then I bought Naish monofilm sail in 2015. Monofilm has already became very brittle and cracks exactly same way as you described. I guess manufacturers do not want sails to last twenty years anymore. Kind of makes sense but it really sucks.

Andrei
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezzy's research showed that monofilm degrades to the point you're describing in 200 hours of direct sunlight. That's not even one month of lying on the ground at a fleet center.
manuel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my other sails (incl. Neilpryde) have had a more uniform wear. Colors slowly fade away and monofilm becomes brittle maybe yellowing some. Multiple cracks are visible and can be taped until a strong wave or bad landing claims the sail.

I looked at my Ezzy elite and despite the xply yellow, milky, brittle, at least it's holding by the strings Very Happy ! Same year though.

So I guess if the neilpryde has had 2-3 years of rental history, it's an incredible sail and would be rated a C. However, it was sold to me as A rated....

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically a rental center sells off after 2 years max.
I don’t find , given the details of this sail that it’s condition now is odd.
What I find is the grading being a A, which may mean compared to their typical sail.
Reading between the lines, the Grade given A VS C in your opinion, shouldn’t have happened, or rectified by a customer service act. IE, refund in part or future credit or?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right. Some rental centers change every so often their equipment.
Some pieces don't get used as often as others. Some get pulled out of storage and used up later, etc. Some stay brand new and never hit the water.

To me an A sail is a sail that was used for a couple of months. I do know the centers here try and keep the sails out of the sun (when not sailed), by "parking" in the shade whenever possible. However, after 2 years (sometimes 1) most sails are toast and not even "sellable" !

Our summers tend to have stronger UV's than November-April.

Regardless the price reflected the state of the sail so I'm ok. I did get back to them and they answered me about the issue. The A condition is of course highly debatable Very Happy !

At least I did get to use it a few times. We'll see how it'll evolve. A crack already developed right next to the tape I had placed to cover another crack! Not much wind in the forecast but some really strong swell.

Let the surf sailing season... begin! (poor monofilm Very Happy !!!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: