myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Video - Windsurfing Chop Hop (hooked in)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windsurfillinois.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Video - Windsurfing Chop Hop (hooked in) Reply with quote

Windsurfing Chop Hop (hooked in)

https://windsurfillinois.com/index.php/videos/63-reid-fillman/video/262-windsurfing-chop-hop-hooked-in

Later,
Reid

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it from an old Boeing Saturn V launch rocket system R&D engineer who watched every one of our early moon shots, sometimes alongside an astronaut-to-be: clever sound track. It really brings back memories.

Now, next time you do this hooked in, even if it's no higher: Look at the sky the instant your fin clears the water. The board, whether the fin's two feet or ten high, will go vertical and feel MUCH higher.

Oh, yeah ... to get back down, just look at your landing spot from the peak of your jump (you'll feel it). Your board will stop climbing and return to the water as though some magical external force besides your gaze were acting on it. Better yet, even from 10 feet or more, is the amazing part: you won't even feel or hear the resulting smooth-as-silk landing.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale is one of the highest jumpers in "flat water" conditions.
I"ve seen an old bud, K Hartz, get his fin 8' above the water in 14" chop....hooked in, of course.
Yes, 8 feet above the water in 14 in chop.
And stuck the landings hooked in.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A local at Fred Howard Park near Tampa, Florida consistently cleared 6 feet on absolutely glassy water in water less than knee deep in dead offshore winds... i.e., NO measurable chop. He just created his own little ramp by shoving his board downward to initiate his jumps.

I always jump hooked in. It takes much less effort, and [clarification: facing the sky at apogee, as described in previous post] quite consistently produces featherlight touchdowns at full speed. I say "touchdowns", because that's what it produces; not so much "landing" the board as quietly touching the surface with the fin fully attached and tracking to continue the reach with a long gap in the wake. When I unhook in the air, landings are OBVIOUS to me and to anyone else nearby.

How long did that take to learn? Three seconds. One try. And that includes having to figure out real time the part about looking down at my landing spot to get back down (John DeRosa didn't mention that part). If I hadn't reflexively done that, I might still be up there. (That's how it felt, anyway.) That jump was 27 years and about seven months go, and I've never forgotten it despite doing it thousands of times since.

LONG before that, I'd use my straps to lift the windward rail of my longboard to expose it to the wind on FLAT water in offshore breezes (lightly planing with a 7.5) at Cochiti Lake, NM. It didn't even clear the fin by much, but that beats just standing there holding the sail up. My point: there are many ways to jump long before we can soar and long before even trying freestyle or waves.

Last edited by isobars on Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
windsurfillinois.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Your board will stop climbing and return to the water as though some magical external force besides your gaze were acting on it. Better yet, even from 10 feet or more, is the amazing part: you won't even feel or hear the resulting smooth-as-silk landing.

Cool. Looking forward to your vid.

isobars

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windsurfillinois.com wrote:
Looking forward to your vid.

You must be new here. Very Happy
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're always asking, here's a marginal one I've never posted

https://youtu.be/HmH7EIcyAUw

-Craig

windsurfillinois.com wrote:
isobars wrote:
Your board will stop climbing and return to the water as though some magical external force besides your gaze were acting on it. Better yet, even from 10 feet or more, is the amazing part: you won't even feel or hear the resulting smooth-as-silk landing.

Cool. Looking forward to your vid.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig ... next time face the sky/look straight up at apogee. That simple addition makes a HUGE difference.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been doing that off and on since you mentioned it some years ago. That clip
is from 2012(I think). Just fulfilling the original posters request. ;*)

-Craig

isobars wrote:
Craig ... next time face the sky/look straight up at apogee. That simple addition makes a HUGE difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: