myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Assume ANY email from "Amazon" is a dangerous scam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Assume ANY email from "Amazon" is a dangerous scam Reply with quote

Given the number and variety of complaints online and phishing attempts I'm receiving personally, I must assume Amazon's computer system, and with it our credit card security, has been compromised. I deleted my card number from my Amazon account and forwarded the latest phishing email to them at their stop-spoofing address (log on and get it yourself).

The email had several OBVIOUS red flags, including:
• Grammatical and spelling errors.
• The return domain was not amazon.com.
• Amazon hadn't even shipped the item yet, but the scammer knew exactly what I ordered, knew the order number and price, knew the correct item manufacturer and dealer, and pretended to address some fictitious complaint I had supposedly filed about the item.

I no longer click on ANY links in ANY emails from ANY source. An intelligent (?) oncology nurse lost her life's savings, some $340,000 mostly without recourse, to such a scammer. Google it for the incredible details of her story, including many days best described as physical captivity, and beware.
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use a credit card with great protection like AMEX or similar, you should be protected. The only people who get cleaned out are ones that use their debit card online,,,,,,, never do that!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billions (OK, "just" hundreds of millions, but rising rapidly, now that I've researched it for the nattering nabob crowd) of credit card numbers have been compromised by hacks of some of the biggest blue chip companies on the planet. Every time that happens to a company who has my number, I have my online card number changed. It takes about a minute. I told Amazon they will get a new card number -- thus more purchases -- after three things happen:
1. The public finds out whether the breach includes card numbers.
2. They admit it.
3. I'm convinced they have fixed the problem.

It's a small price to pay to increase my card number security. It's MUCH easier to change the card # than to get a large charge cancelled.

A debit card is a huge risk even if it's not used online.

Last edited by isobars on Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Billions of credit card numbers have been compromised by hacks of some of the biggest blue chip companies on the planet. Every time that happens to a company who has my number, I have my online card number changed. It takes about a minute. I told Amazon they will get a new card number -- thus more purchases -- after three things happen:
1. The public finds out whether the breach includes card numbers.
2. They admit it.
3. I'm convinced they have fixed the problem.

It's a small price to pay to increase my card number security. It's MUCH easier to change the card # than to get a large charge cancelled.

A debit card is a huge risk even if it's not used online.
I change my credit card numbers at least once a year....never let your computer save password either..
real-human

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

note not all orders on amazon are shipped by amazon so of course, they know the entire details, they just would not have the credit card info.

scammers all over, hey how did you do at Trumped up university...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: