myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Attaching a sailboard to a piece of plywood with a swivel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StillSailin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Attaching a sailboard to a piece of plywood with a swivel Reply with quote

I'd like to attach a swivel to the bottom of sailboard and attach that to a piece of plywood. Do that so I could work on my sail flip and footwork (or most likely vice versa) on land in off season.

Anybody know of an insert available that I could put into the sailboard and then I'd have something put screws into in order to attach the sailboard to the swivel.. All ideas welcome. Thanks

Mike B
kmf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike.

I have used such a set up both in Baja and in Belize, and the method that was used to connect the board to the swivel devise...(plywood with swivel attached), was simply to strap the board to the plywood using cargo tie down straps. The ones with a ratchet to tighten the straps.

Find them anywhere....

Be careful, the board can turn quicker than one would like.....

Keith
StillSailin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Keith

Thanks for ideas. Got some good ideas from forum in Southwest. I got a pretty good swivel online. It all makes sense with the plywood and all. One idea was to put this whole thing on an air mattress. I might, would add the feature of keeping the board balanced.
Thinking just mounting a rig to a piece of plywood would be so simple and yet give me a good feel of the power and timing of a nice sail flip. Thanks

Mike B
drysuit2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Swivel Reply with quote

When we used to teach windsurfing we took an old office chair. Removed the wheels, the armrest, and the back. Then you just use two roof straps to secure the board to the padded seat.

s-l400.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.36 KB
 Viewed:  27737 Time(s)

s-l400.jpg

jse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Attaching a sailboard to a piece of plywood with a swivel Reply with quote

StillSailin wrote:
I'd like to attach a swivel to the bottom of sailboard and attach that to a piece of plywood. Do that so I could work on my sail flip and footwork (or most likely vice versa) on land in off season.

Anybody know of an insert available that I could put into the sailboard and then I'd have something put screws into in order to attach the sailboard to the swivel.. All ideas welcome. Thanks

Mike B

If you can do without the board (good for sail practice and (if you use your imagination) footwork, cut a triangular shaped piece of 3/4" plywood, cut off the points to avoid toe injury. Drill holes in each corner and in the middle. Use 3 long tent pegs like 1/2" by 12" to anchor in the ground. Depending on the ground you may be able to get by with smaller. Drill a hole dead center and mount a single bolt universal. Point one angle of the triangle into the wind for reference. Mount the uni, pound the pegs into the ground, connect your rig to the universal.

You can store all the parts in your toolbox with the possible exception of the plywood and have it at the beach when the wind is too light to sail.

Steve
exgolfer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: windsurf board simulator Reply with quote

this works way better, just warn bystanders to not get close:

https://boardlady.com/simulator.htm
surfersteve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a physical therapist with 25 years in practice I would like to offer a different method of motor learning. In short, the conditions under which you will "practice" is so far removed from actual conditions that the "learning" you seek is not likely to be very productive. I base this on speaking with many movement experts and reading a lot of research articles. Just in brief: wind-loaded sail, tippiness of the board, variability of the water surface.

My advice is to buy a good video which teaches jibes or find one online and watch it a few hundred times - seriously. Visualization in your mind while you watch others perform a task activates the regions in your brain which would be doing it for you in real time. Watch athletes prior to a slalom ski race or a ski jumper. They always visualize performance to ingrain the motor pattern they want to happen. It works. Good luck.

I am happy to speak to you about this on the phone if you have any questions about the process. I can give you all kinds of information if you are interested.

Peace. 541-806-7838 Steve
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfersteve: Question regarding the visualization method: would watching those videos in slow motion in the beginning be helpful? (then follow with regualr speed.) I think I'm likely to not see all of the move at regular speed and would get inadequate visualization no matter how often I watched.
surfersteve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DelCarpenter - most of us learn new tasks at slower-than-real-time speed, so I think it would be a very good idea if you are looking at a specific aspect of the jibe i.e. the sail flip. I know Royn Bartholdi used to have a teaching site which allowed you to watch jibs, jumps, etc. at speeds of your choosing. Pretty sure the site was www.roynbartholdi.com - not sure it still exists, or in what state of function. Great idea I should have mentioned as the "expert" on movement > Ha!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: