myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I was one of thousands of wannabees
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, and the benefits of vastly reduced net carb consumption extend way beyond body fat reduction. It is neither a panacea, nor is it appropriate (not even safe) for certain well-defined subsets of the population, but for a majority of people, especially those eating like Americans, its many benefits outweigh its few and avoidable disadvantages.

I'm still PO'd that for decades I argued long and loud against low-carb eating because the fricking government and our doctors claimed it was harmful. Only after MUCH more research did I realize how WRONG they and I were. My only lingering reservation now is that, although I'm convinced, we could all STILL be wrong.

swchandler wrote:
isobars, back in 1972 I went on an Atkins Diet and successfully lost 26 pounds in about 3 months. In fact, I lost a bit too much weight where I began losing muscle mass, so I added back 5 pounds to reach a more perfect weight for me in the end.

Given my experience, I know that reducing carbohydrates in your diet quickly yields results. Now, whether there are health downsides in such a diet, I can't honestly say, but if I was to dedicate myself to a weight loss program in the future, I would limit my intake of simple carbs and concentrate on a reasonable balance of protein and lower calorie vegetables. The key though to a successful diet, is not eating too much.

Regarding your wife, I'm glad that she has realized some success overall. Needless to say, it can be a significant challenge to change a lifetime of habits and stick with it over the long run.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One may chose to reply to a post, in the manner set by the Guidelines.
Not in any manner they wish .

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
You're right in that just one FF would not physically harm anyone. One donut, however, due to its trans-fat content, reportedly does measurable harm for days to weeks by blocking important nutrient receptors at the cellular level ... the old key-in-the-lock effect.

dvCali wrote:
isobars wrote:

I ate my last French fry, donut, etc. several decades ago.

Come on, you can do it! Have a French Fry. Just one.

There is no way of stopping people for saying very stupid things on the Web. Gems like, paraphrasing a a little: "two french fries harm important nutrient receptors (nutrient receptor?) at the cellular level (as opposed to?) for weeks (???????)"

It is the sad state of our "social media". From this little forum to Twitter and Facebook we are at the mercy of anybody with enough time in their hands, or money, to spread whatever they think is RIGHT (or, for the very pernicious, whatever falsehood they think might help them to WIN.).

We, as a society, do not know yet how to fix this problem. It is new, it is absurdly pernicious, and as this little example with Isobars shows there is very little one can do.

Engaging in a discussion is useless, the level of delusion, and the mix of misinformation and arrogance makes it impossible. Direct insults do not help. Nor do appeals to reason.

For the iWinsurf Forum the solution is easy: ignore (but sometimes is hard not to react too!)

For our society at large, where consequences are way more dire, I am really at a loss, like many of us I am sure.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guidelines are a meaningless, blatantly and chronically ignored, atrocious farce even outside the political forum. Weatherflow wrongly assumes they are immune to libel laws.

U2U2U2 wrote:
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:

I disagree that someone who can't waterstart or blast comfortably in the straps can claim anything but beginner status.

I think someone who can beach start, hook in and plane but is not in the footstraps or waterstarting is a lower intermediate.

isobars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful what you do with anything you read on the 'net, folks, even if it's from someone who claims a degree in the field or wears a white coat. Assume it's wrong or even total BS until you Do Your Own Homework. Realize too, that one valuable marker in spotting balderdash is attacking the messenger rather than debating the message.

From just one among many similar articles, this one from
https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/feeding-eating/family-nutrition/facts-about-fats/hydrogenated-fats:

Trans fats or hydrogenated fats may interfere with the ability of the cells of the body to metabolize the fats that are good for you.

This may damage cell membranes of vital structures, such as the brain and nerve cells. Cell membranes contain receptor sites for fat molecules, sort of like parking places that are specifically designed to receive certain molecules. When the right fatty acid arrives, it fills its assigned parking spot and contributes to the health of the membrane. However, trans fatty acid “cars” may also come along and squeeze into a space that doesn’t really fit these biochemical impostors. A sort of biochemical traffic jam occurs, and the right cars cannot get to where they need to be. Or, think of cell membranes as having millions of tiny locks, which nutrient molecules can enter like keys. Changing the shape of the molecule, which is what happens when a fat is hydrogenated, changes the shape of the key, and it doesn’t fit properly into the lock. Two problems can occur. Either the molecular misfit key is left to wander throughout the body, causing damage in other places, or these misfit keys keep pushing their way into the locks, damaging them, so that the right keys, the natural nutrients, no longer fit. At least in theory, hydrogenated fats can weaken cell membranes, keeping out needed nutrients and also allowing harmful ones to leak in. This may set the body up for chronic, degenerative diseases. This is why fake fats are becoming known in the medical community as “the silent killer.” We can take a tip from Mother Nature that trans fatty acids are not good for the body. Both the placenta and the brain have a biochemical way of filtering most trans fatty acids out, although the protection is not complete. If a diet is not overwhelmed with TFA’s, it can deal with a bit of them by metabolizing these fats as energy sources before they have a chance to do any cellular damage, and then use the good fats (the essential fatty acids) as healthy nutrients for the cells. Perhaps, a bit of trans fatty acids (which may occur naturally in some foods anyway) won’t harm the body but, like all other fats, excess will.

Other such articles and papers add such findings as ANY TFs, even if indulged only once, are harmful because their effects can linger for many days.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Be careful what you do with anything you read on the 'net, folks, even if it's from someone who claims a degree in the field or wears a white coat. Assume it's wrong or even total BS until you Do Your Own Homework. Realize too, that one valuable marker in spotting balderdash is attacking the messenger rather than debating the message.

From just one among many similar articles, this one from
https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/feeding-eating/family-nutrition/facts-about-fats/hydrogenated-fats:

Other such articles and papers add such findings as ANY TFs, even if indulged only once, are harmful because their effects can linger for many days.

You are truly ridiculous ... “ask dr Sears.com” is your kind of source? You think blubberings like those are facts and peer reviewed research? ... Not to mention that your “weeks” of “damage” (?) have became “days” in just one reply ... I’ll really try to ignore this nonsense. Enough, you win. Keep pollution going.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave you a chance, DV, to act all grown up, but when you revert to ignoring and even fabricating what I've said, you're outta here again. If I wanted children, I'd have had some.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
grantmac017 wrote:

I disagree that someone who can't waterstart or blast comfortably in the straps can claim anything but beginner status.

I think someone who can beach start, hook in and plane but is not in the footstraps or waterstarting is a lower intermediate.

What the Puffin said.

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
The guidelines are a meaningless, blatantly and chronically ignored, atrocious farce even outside the political forum. Weatherflow wrongly assumes they are immune to libel laws.

U2U2U2 wrote:

A trend here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 12 of 16

Jump to: