myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Eastern OR/WA windsurf foiling sites
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stringp

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Eastern OR/WA windsurf foiling sites Reply with quote

Find myself splitting time between Boise and PDX this spring/summer.
Looking for advice on where to sail and camp in the eastern gorge. As a foiler I get blown off the water when it’s in the upper 20’s plus. Ideas?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Eastern OR/WA windsurf foiling sites Reply with quote

I've seen it blow 6.5 (on a normal windsurf rig) for a week at a time
at 3 Mile when it's honk'n in the corridor in the Summer. Flat water
inside the breakwater if that's what you're looking for. Big swells on
the river even on light wind days if you're looing for that.

I haven't been that far out since I bought a condo in HR 12 years ago, so
it's possible the pattern has changed.

-Craig

stringp wrote:
Find myself splitting time between Boise and PDX this spring/summer.
Looking for advice on where to sail and camp in the eastern gorge. As a foiler I get blown off the water when it’s in the upper 20’s plus. Ideas?
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those were in the good ol' days, when the North Pacific High was more dominant. The past few years have tended more towards what I call drive-bys ... powerful (even by Gorge standards) one-day frontal blasts separated by days on lawn chairs (or, in my case, going home an hour away until it hits a reliable 20 mph again, which all too often means a week).

I don't know about 3-Mile's weed situation, but many kiters declared Roosevelt's weedbeds literally life-threatening and don't go there any more. That may be a blessing, as a huge groups of dozens (scores?) of campers every weekend have been trying (it looks deliberate) to choke off access to the western WSer launch ramp, crowding the rigging, launch, and stowage areas for everyone.

I've seen some RVs at Arlington apparently overnight, but the last I heard it's verboten. I don't know about its weed issue, and its launch appears almost prohibitive for kites.

There are good, but less reliable, sailing sites east of 3-Mile, such as Port Kelly. Overnight camping is forbidden because it was getting abused, but I don't know how rigorously that's enforced. It's RIGHT by the highway, so you're not going to fool any cop who cares.

Maryhill/Rufus/Celilo are certainly candidates, and many wild spots such as Patterson east of 3-Mile are possibilities.

Most important, however, for most Gorge sailors is flexibility. Sitting at any one spot will usually cost a sailor a TON of opportunities. Being ready to move at least once a day -- maybe twice -- to a site 10 minutes to 3-4 hours away, can DRAMATICALLY increase one's success rate and can REALLY enhance the whole Gorge (and beyond)) experience.
stringp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the climate has definitely changed with low pressure systems dominating during historically prime months. It sounds like the mobility of a sleep in van would be a good idea. Lots of $$$ to test if lawn chair sailing is the future.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stringp wrote:
It sounds like the mobility of a sleep in van would be a good idea. Lots of $$$ to test if lawn chair sailing is the future.

I would add two more dollar signs to the value of being mobile and self-contained (right, Guy?) in the Pacific NW. It's arguably as important as picking the right spouse or career. After well over three decades of chasing wind full-time and launching from more than 70 different sites from the Tricities to the Oregon coast, I could type for hours on the incalculable and innumerable benefits of turnkey mobility plus situational awareness.
merriam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufus and 3 Mile free dirt camping with pit toilet. Both good launching for kites. No weeds. Arlington paved or dirt camping with plumbed toilets $9.00. Good launch for kites. The sensor reads a little high but often good for kiting. A bonus site is Boardman nice beach or launch at the riverfront hotel lawn. Not sure of the camping options. Lots of good options, hope you have a good summer.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to WS at Boardman's riverfront lodge. It's pretty much no mas for me now, for several reasons:
1. They've pretty much fenced off the beach except for a narrow break for narrow pedestrians willing to walk on wobbly cinder block steps while carrying gear (one piece at a time) in the full fury of the wind.

2. I saw the photos of city blocks of bulldozed concrete and rebar foundations a foot or two below the surface over much of the first few blocks offshore from the campground.

3. On the best sailing days, the shorepound is a real problem for feet and gear for the first few rows of swell.

4. The river navigation charts indicate mid-river bare "reefs" at normal river heights there. I haven't seen it that bad, but I have stood in thigh-deep water there at normal water heights.

There's a much easier launch at a public park a mile or so to the east. There's also a long, pretty, sand beach nestled between the highway and the water at a power substation between Umatilla and Port Kelley. When PK's raging, that WIDE spot is much steadier and lighter, but launching there means 4WD or leaving your vehicle in harm's (thieves') way on the highway and climbing up and down a sandy slope that's difficult to manage even when carrying nothing.

I've seen kiters among the islands just west of Patterson, but multiple islands may indicate many shoals less than foil deep.

A summer of driving, hiking, and mapping every accessible foot of the WA and OR shorelines east of Maryhill revealed many such wild spots "out east", but ya gotta avoid driving or walking across -- even near, in some places Sad -- any RR tracks. They have shut down many of those spots in the past decade or so. Most were not big losses except they are closer for me in the TriCities.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merriam wrote:
Arlington paved or dirt camping with plumbed toilets $9.00. Good launch for kites.

Both are pleasant surprises to me. Glad to hear it, as Arlington's side-onshore winds offer a safety/recovery advantage compared to the LOOOOONG walk of shame at Roosevelt across the river.
merriam2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, thanks for the Boardman update. Sorry to hear the riverfront lodge is less accessible, we had a lucky epic day there several years ago. Although, friends who went there last year did say there is a new brewpub next to the lodge so that's a plus. Will try out the east public beach next time the wind gods and coincidence coincide.
merriam2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, Arlington has some decent food options, Pheasant Grill, a good Deli, and a funky pizza restaurant. Thanks to CGW2 and the Port of Arlington for the launch improvement. Often locals come down to the launch to watch the action and are very friendly. Talked to an old wheat rancher who said his wife tried sailing in the 90's but it wasn't for him, but he still liked to watch it. If you're there support the local businesses!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: