myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Isabella update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superkraut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Lake Isabella update Reply with quote

Lake Isabella Windsurfing for those of you who don't do Facebook (where I update almost daily)
Lake Info as of today - stay tuned, everything seems in flux

We started the 2020 season with a BANG! 24 great sailing days already (though some a bit chilly).
Xavier Ferlet, having braved our elements more than anyone this winter and practiced diligently, just won the Clearwater Foiling Midwinters last weekend.

Lake level hovered at 2560ft elevation through the winter, i.e. 10ft above the Borel flume - a most useful level for us, devoid of trees and other things that go bump (though I managed to find something to run over the other day (a waterlogged big branch??), requiring a 20 minute swim in 48 degree water...)
The lake has been inching up these past couple of days, but - barring a major miracle - won't be anything to write home about: in spite of some additions these past couple of days, the snow pack in our watershed is at only 39% of normal for the date.

Dam Construction impacts: much grading and general dirt- and rock-moving is happening in both AuxDam and Ghetto areas. In sharp contrast to our dealings last winter, the contractor this year is responsive to our needs, and providing alternate access whenever closures of our normal paths are required. Not an issue!
As well, the Jibe Bay is being cleared of those big rocks as we "speak" - should be all gone by the end of this week.

COVID-19: Forest Service is not at this time planning any restrictions at or near our venues.
Local businesses are open where they supply essentials. Shortages to date have been limited to the usual: toilet paper, bottled water, and dried beans - go figure...
The Isabella Fishing Derby has been postponed to May 9 through 11 (though I believe they are being overly optimistic)

All we need now is for the weather to warm a little - lake at 53 today, and air at 50. crimini!
Hoping to see you all soon!
Eva

Xavier Mar7.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  645.58 KB
 Viewed:  18146 Time(s)

Xavier Mar7.JPG

jibe bay rocks.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  741.29 KB
 Viewed:  18146 Time(s)

jibe bay rocks.jpg

NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eva for all you do to keep your lake open. I hope all is well with you...Tony
superkraut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, Tony! ja, I'm fine, what with all this therapeutic lake time; plus, being a bit of a prepper, not having to worry about TP or such for quite a while to come Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: