myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Forecast on phone app v. web

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShreddinEd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Forecast on phone app v. web Reply with quote

Anyone know why the site automated forecasts are different on the phone app v. the web site so different? I get wildly diverging forecasts.

If there's a support forum to submit this to, please let me know. Thanks.
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Forecast on phone app v. web Reply with quote

ShreddinEd wrote:
Anyone know why the site automated forecasts are different on the phone app v. the web site so different? I get wildly diverging forecasts.

Hi Ed,

Without a screen shot of your phone and knowing if you are using classic IW. or the new IW. I can not give you a precise answer.

But, my guess would be that your phone is looking at one model while your web site is set to look at a different model. Check the name and time of your model data and make sure it is the same both for both devices.

In addition: Right now there is a lot of differences between model because there is an upper level disturbance moving towards us that will disrupt the North Pacific High's surface NW winds. Models often diverge on the arrival time of disturbances which makes for very different surface wind forecasts.

Worse, much of our model data input about upper-level events is derived fro automated sensors aboard every airliner that feed upper data into the models. And right now there is only a tiny fraction of the usual number of flights so the models are only ingesting data from the weather ballons released twice daily from major airports and from winds derived from water vapor movements in satellite imagery. So all of our models are struggling when there are critical upper-level events. This tends to magnify differenes between models and even between model runs.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com
ShreddinEd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Forecast on phone app v. web Reply with quote

windfind wrote:
ShreddinEd wrote:

Without a screen shot of your phone and knowing if you are using classic IW. or the new IW. I can not give you a precise answer.

New iws, iPhone app.

Do you still need a screenshot?
ShreddinEd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

App and website are on their default settings, whatever those are.
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, send screen shot of both and I will forward it to support.

Mike
ShreddinEd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May have figured it out. When I change the website to "North American Mesoscale" it comes out much closer to the app. than the default. This model is much higher than the others. The default of the website is set to "Blend" whatever that is. What model do you prefer?

The numbers aren't exact, btw. Getting 21 average for Anita Rock on the website, 23 on the app. Maybe I need to change something to knots?
ShreddinEd

<sorry, dup post, can't delete>

Last edited by ShreddinEd on Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
ShreddinEd

<sorry, dup post, can't delete>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: