myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
First Day at Crissy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: First Day at Crissy Reply with quote

First day at Crissy! (this year) And a nice one with very solid 4.7 wind. A few observations:

* There is no boat traffic!!!!!!!!! The swells were almost clean! I never sailed such clean waters in 34 years of sailing the spot!

* Nobody Kites anymore? Everybody is out with the wingy thing ... very nice, much less invasive than 20 yard long kites

* Masks are not cool? Nobody, besides your dear DvCali, was wearing one Shocked 110,000 people dead don't seem enough to brake the illusion of immortality.

* And finally the traffic: it took me less than 10' to go back home!

Last edited by dvCali on Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:45 am; edited 2 times in total
SAS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great. Glad you had fun.

Crissy used to be my main sailing spot. The views of the bay, the city, and the bridge are wonderful. Sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge is one of the great windsurfing experiences one can have.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: First Day at Crissy Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
First day at Crissy! (this year) And a nice one with very solid 4.7 wind. A few observations:

* There is no boat traffic!!!!!!!!! The swells were almost clean! I never sailed such clean waters in 34 years of sailing the spot!

* Nobody Kites anymore? Everybody is out with the wingy thing ... very nice, much less invasive than 20 yard long kites

* Masks are not cool? Nobody, besides your dear DvCali, was wearing one Shocked 110,000 people dead don't seem enough to brake the illusion of immortality.

* And finally the traffic: it took me less than 10' to go back home!

I sailed there sat, and was amazed by the clean water. I thought you guys had it that good all the time. All the kiters are at the Delta, Sunday i sailed there and there was the typical number and only a few wings
rigatoni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing you were the guy I saw walking around in the speedo with your mask after sailing? I need to try that sometime.

If you could point me to some sort of empirical study regarding the transmission of the virus outdoors, please help me. I am particularly interested in the one our dear leaders here in SF used to established the "must have a mask on if you are within 30 ft of someone outdoors"

Wearing a mask indoors in a shared public space-no argument here. That and avoiding large gatherings of people are going to be the most effective means to keep the viral transmission down.

There are many studies (including both CDC and WHO) clearly indicating the much lower level of transmission risk outdoors. I personally think the sanctimonious mask shaming that occasionally goes on around here is actually counterproductive.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rig...I hope you're kidding....that's a funny visual. I'll be looking for it today.
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nm

Last edited by dvCali on Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: First Day at Crissy Reply with quote

LUCARO wrote:
dvCali wrote:

...!

I sailed there sat, and was amazed by the clean water. I thought you guys had it that good all the time. All the kiters are at the Delta, Sunday i sailed there and there was the typical number and only a few wings

Yes, you are right. It does look way cleaner! there is a lot of tidal action but I bet that it just shuffles a lot of pollution back and forth. Now with so little engine traffic the Bay is probably at historical pollution minima!

Funny thing is that I spent the afternoon doing the usual periodic check for the possibly "approaching-big-thing-on-the-water" before I finally realized that ... they are all at harbor. Better not loose the habit: it will not last long, and it is for the better because people jobs depends on it. But man ... not having the random washing machines on top of the swell is very nice!
jpf18

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
such clean waters in 34 years of sailing the spot!

Until this season we have had great (read: wet) winters for a couple years. A lot of sediment has been washing down from the Delta once snowmelt set in. Early wind season you can make out the sediment rich areas where it's ebbing (e.g towards Alcatraz) vs. the darker areas where it's flooding, e.g. on the inside. None of that this year.
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpf18 wrote:
dvCali wrote:
such clean waters in 34 years of sailing the spot!

Until this season we have had great (read: wet) winters for a couple years. A lot of sediment has been washing down from the Delta once snowmelt set in. Early wind season you can make out the sediment rich areas where it's ebbing (e.g towards Alcatraz) vs. the darker areas where it's flooding, e.g. on the inside. None of that this year.

I was actually referring to the wave faces and water conditions. With no traffic the amount of random direction board wakes is dramatically reduced. Crissy is still choppy but swells are clean and very much enjoyable. Very Happy
jpf18

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
[I was actually referring to the wave faces and water conditions. With no traffic the amount of random direction board wakes is dramatically reduced. Crissy is still choppy but swells are clean and very much enjoyable. Very Happy
Well not Sunday not. The usual chop was back in form though as you mention we have had a few nice smooth days prior.

On another note, it looks like Swimmer's Itch is creeping up at Crissy. There have been recent complaints in the East Bay / Alameda and I've been getting my feet irritated @Crissy, just from crossing the sand to the water and back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: