myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 295, 296, 297 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bert wrote:
windward1,
The wing is a Naish 4.6 and the board is a 130L JP board that you can both windfoil and wingfoil with if you move the mast to the fore position on the track. It really helps to have more board volume during the learning stage. I'll be using a smaller Naish sup foil board in a week or so. My foil is the lighter Moses 1100 wing with a 82 cm mast..all carbon. The wing would be ideal for you in the locations where you sail..especially in ocean swells and waves.

Glad you persevered Bert

Lots of kelp off new brighton/capitola, not sure how Windward would go with the foil. But if anyone can foil there he can, so hopefully he paves the way and lets us know

I was considering sailing my foil board out of the SC harbor
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bert,
Two Questions for you on the Naish Wing: Are you fully comfortable with the handle method of holding? Do you ever wish it was more boom like where you could slide your hands incrementally to where you want them?

Lucaro,
Check the rules of the Santa Cruz Yacht Harbor. It used to be windsurfing was not allowed in the harbor on weekends.
Since nobody windsurfs it now, I do not know if they have any rules, probably thinking they do not need any.
people do launch windsurfers from the beach next to the East Jetty near the Hobie Cats on the beach. I saw a couple of guys with Wings on Foils there about a week ago.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
Bert,
Two Questions for you on the Naish Wing: Are you fully comfortable with the handle method of holding? Do you ever wish it was more boom like where you could slide your hands incrementally to where you want them?

Lucaro,
Check the rules of the Santa Cruz Yacht Harbor. It used to be windsurfing was not allowed in the harbor on weekends.
Since nobody windsurfs it now, I do not know if they have any rules, probably thinking they do not need any.
people do launch windsurfers from the beach next to the East Jetty near the Hobie Cats on the beach. I saw a couple of guys with Wings on Foils there about a week ago.

Good tip on the harbour, the beach near east jetty would probably be easier anyways. Seems like there is heaps less kelp in that area. Do you agree?
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, less kelp there than many other venues. But always check it out. Kelp strands break off and can end up anywhere.

I have seen foilers of various types at Waddell, a place that shall not be named, Natural Bridges, and Twin Lakes (The Yacht Harbor Beach). So while there is kelp at some of those spots, it can be avoided. At least to some extent...
bert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
Bert,

I'm fine with the strap handle system even though most windsurfers doing the wing thing seem to prefer the Duotone's boom handle. I think that they're both good. I chose the Naish because the 2020 Duotones were backordered at the time (April). Also, the strap handle wings are minimalist..just pump and go without dealing with a boom to attach. Lastly, if you get tossed into your wing, it won't hurt as much as falling onto a hard boom. Glad you are at least thinking about it. The wing can work with a sup board even without a foil attached.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bert can you go upwind enough without the foil when you use the wing on the sup?

I would have thought natural bridges was a definite no foil zone, good to know.
bert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With practice you can .. though not as good as with a sail set up.
ctuna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: If you only need low wind Santa Cruz Wharf area Reply with quote

If you only need low wind Santa Cruz Wharf area
might work. (for foiling)Cowells Beach.
Also Mitchel's Cove beach might work as its between the
big Kelp bed at Its beach and the coastal patch at between
Mitchell's Cove and Natural Bridges.
Weed Fins required when windsurfing at Natural
Bridge and that won't necessarily get you through
the ropey stuff easily.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: If you only need low wind Santa Cruz Wharf area Reply with quote

ctuna wrote:
If you only need low wind Santa Cruz Wharf area
might work. (for foiling)Cowells Beach.
Also Mitchel's Cove beach might work as its between the
big Kelp bed at Its beach and the coastal patch at between
Mitchell's Cove and Natural Bridges.
Weed Fins required when windsurfing at Natural
Bridge and that won't necessarily get you through
the ropey stuff easily.

OK cool. I want to launch through the least amount of shore break as possible. So a gently sloping beach would be the best.
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bert,

Good points about the Naish. I would expect myself to get tossed quite often into the wing and a soft landing is certainly a plus!

W1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 295, 296, 297 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 296 of 329

Jump to: