myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Port is implementing a COVID parking limitations.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Craig,

I partially agree with you about the age being a factor between Bobs and the Hatchery in mask usage. But there are still lots of older folks at the Hatch without masks. And the Hatch is still the outlier regarding mask use compared to most California launch sites with younger populations. So, I suspect more than just age is at work.

Here is an interesting metric... I like data and since the pandemic started I have kept a running tally sheet of the % customers wearing mask at different stores in the Gorge.

Until recently the lowest mask usage was at a Farm Supply place I frequently visit in The Dalles for feed (about 5%) and Walmart (about 20%).

In the last 2 weeks, as the COVID situation has rapidly evolved, I have gone to those 2 stores multiple times out of curiosity and cheapness. At Walmart mask usage, even without a sign demanding usage, is now above 90%. If you know the cliental of Walmart that metric speaks volumes and is warning to politicians. The Farm Supply place? You can guess the %.

History†will remember the people who politicized a health issue.

Mike Godsey
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True enough Mike.

I'll be neck gatoring it at the Hatchery (to protect others), until
further notice. Your Walmart observation, speaks volumes, anecdotal
or not.

Stay safe and healthy Amigo!

-Craig

windfind wrote:
Hey Craig,

I partially agree with you about the age being a factor between Bobs and the Hatchery in mask usage. But there are still lots of older folks at the Hatch without masks. And the Hatch is still the outlier regarding mask use compared to most California launch sites with younger populations. So, I suspect more than just age is at work.

Here is an interesting metric... I like data and since the pandemic started I have kept a running tally sheet of the % customers wearing mask at different stores in the Gorge.

Until recently the lowest mask usage was at a Farm Supply place I frequently visit in The Dalles for feed (about 5%) and Walmart (about 20%).

In the last 2 weeks, as the COVID situation has rapidly evolved, I have gone to those 2 stores multiple times out of curiosity and cheapness. At Walmart mask usage, even without a sign demanding usage, is now above 90%. If you know the cliental of Walmart that metric speaks volumes and is warning to politicians. The Farm Supply place? You can guess the %.

History†will remember the people who politicized a health issue.

Mike Godsey
laci

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is interesting. I was at Home Depot in the Dalles yesterday and I was impressed that almost everyone was masked, except for one construction worker type, who was pretty conspicuous for being the only one. Oddly enough it looked like he had a mask in his back pocket. I can't imagine what he was saving it for, if walking around Home Depot with enough people to form long lines at checkout did not warrant wearing it. They had free masks at the door, along with hand sanitizer, by the way.
jimoakes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laci wrote:
It is outdoors and mostly I was able to stay away from others, but walking the path to the water sometimes somebody coming the other way passes by uncomfortably close.

This is a good time to anticipate and hold your breath or adjust your breathing. I adjust my breathing so Iím not inhaling when Iím downwind of someone.
For water people it's in our skill set. Like just before a wave dunks you it becomes intuitive.

Huh, it's even DR approved:https://www.startribune.com/hum-or-hold-your-breath-how-to-protect-against-covid-19-when-someone-gets-too-close/571504742/
windfind

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jim,

Breath-holding is exactly what I do when I screw up in mask use.

However, there is one major problem with breath-holding and masks:

https://www.reviewofophthalmology.com/article/how-susceptible-is-the-conjunctiva-to-covid19

https://www.healio.com/news/ophthalmology/20200304/covid19-possibly-identified-in-tears-conjunctival-secretions

The conjunctiva, which is the mucous membrane that lines the inner surface of the eyelid and the exposed surface of the eyeball, has lots of the ACE-2 receptor sites that the COVID virus plugs into to infect rest of your body.

Those of you with high blood pressure should know all about ACE-2 receptors since you probably use the drug Lisinopril which also plugs into the same ACE-2 receptor site that COVID uses.

You don't hear much about eyes and COVID since eyes don't blast droplets like our nose and mouth can. But the eyes ARE an easy route for you to become infected. So holding your breath or using a mask leaves a major route open for the virus. And holding your breath while closing your eyes and carrying your board is somewhat impractical. That is why I earlier mentioned sunglasses or simple clear safety glasses. DeWalt has some really cheap clear safety glasses on Amazon that I have used while windsurfing.

Of course, you would look sort of geeky with a gaiter and safety glasses but you could add a helmet and PFD and VHF radion and a whistle to complete the geek look. Then again being intubated is not the best look either.

Note that is presently impossible to determine if a person got COVID via their respiratory tract or their eyes. But given that the eyes are exposed and have receptor sites, it is cause for concern. But the study suggested that the eyes are most commonly infected by your own COVID contaminated fingers. So to me, sunglasses are primarily to deter me from stupidly touching my eyes.

Mike Godsey

TEmpZZ0B531234.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  241.56 KB
 Viewed:  14926 Time(s)

TEmpZZ0B531234.jpg

iu.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  236.49 KB
 Viewed:  14933 Time(s)

iu.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: