myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why the GOP IS the root of all evil...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 242, 243, 244 ... 250, 251, 252  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac said:
Quote:
I didn’t bother to read a comment by Gohmert posted on Breitbart. See if you can figure out why.

Fine, no need for you to be reminded about some of the less appealing history of the Democrat party. I think many in the black community would be surprised by their party's history, the obvious point that Gohmert is trying to make.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprising that Techno and idiot Gohmert would try to focus on Democratic racism of the past instead of Republican racism of the present. Or 150,000 deaths and a cratered economy because of the incompetent response to COVID-19.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berkeley wrote:
In the U.S., if nothing changes: By the end of April: The cumulative COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. alone are projected to reach 1 million deaths. And by the second week of May: The cumulative COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. alone are projected to reach a total of 10 million deaths

Nearing the end of July. 145,942 deaths to date. That's 9,854,058 less than Berkeley's estimate for mid May "if nothing changes". Things did change, mitigating steps were taken, and the outcome to date is 98.5% better than the alarmist estimate provided "for those who understand neither geometric progressions nor logarithmic scales." Perhaps simplistic models are not as reliable as common sense?

https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases
mac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
berkeley wrote:
In the U.S., if nothing changes: By the end of April: The cumulative COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. alone are projected to reach 1 million deaths. And by the second week of May: The cumulative COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. alone are projected to reach a total of 10 million deaths

Nearing the end of July. 145,942 deaths to date. That's 9,854,058 less than Berkeley's estimate for mid May "if nothing changes". Things did change, mitigating steps were taken, and the outcome to date is 98.5% better than the alarmist estimate provided "for those who understand neither geometric progressions nor logarithmic scales." Perhaps simplistic models are not as reliable as common sense?

https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases

Hysterical, mrgybe is gloating about only 150,000 deaths. He's created a new metric, as usual, and doesn't have the discipline to post in the right thread. Perhaps dementia?

Let me remind you of what the hypocrite of the forum said on March 15:

I
Quote:
t used to be that when the country faced a challenge that could affect any of us, we would put aside partisan differences, pull together and wish the best for those trying to get us through a difficult time. The barrage of insulting, finger pointing comments here from those on the left are a disgrace which make an unsettling time worse. Spend a moment in self reflection rather than leaping once again to the keyboard to whip up more anger and hysteria.

This was two days after he said:

Quote:
The rest of us will hope that measures being taken here and around the world will be successful and we will take the sensible precautions you mention.

To be sure, we all knew less about the virus and what steps the Federal government might take in early March. Mrgybe would have you think I just invented numbers out of whole cloth. Here's what I posted on March 12:

Quote:
Congress’ physician has told the members in a closed session that he expects 70-150 million people will contract the disease.

I'm indeed happy that many governors and local officials took steps that reduced the infection rate and the death toll. I'm even happier that our health care system has discovered methods of treatment that has brought the death rate down. Mrgybe is trying to create a new metric for success, instead of answering the simple question--what has the Trump administration done to effectively manage the pandemic. I'll provide one specific. The Lancet published an article on June 1 that I cited under an appropriate thread. It concluded that social distancing and wearing masks could reduce the risk of infection by 85%. Trump did not wear a mask in public until July 14th. His administration systematically undermined the social distancing and mask wearing recommendations of the WHO and CDC, when they did not actually prevent CDC officials from speaking publicly. And most Republican governors followed Trump into the breach, not merely opening their economies without the necessary risk-reducing measures, but forbidding local governments, mostly in Democratic cities, from establishing such requirements.

Tell me again about putting aside partisanship and working together to face the challenge of pandemic?
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berkeley wrote:
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berkeley wrote:
The threat that this virus presents is one of spread geometrically by those without evident symptoms. That has the potential to spread the disease to perhaps half of the United States, and kill perhaps 1-2% of those infected. With a population of over 330 million, and with Congress being told that the infection could reach 75 to 150 million, that means that as many as 3 million people could die. Unless something is done.

Number of cases to date per the CDC..............4,163,892. That's just a tad less than 150 million for those not smart enough to understand the science.
vientomas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
berkeley wrote:
The threat that this virus presents is one of spread geometrically by those without evident symptoms. That has the potential to spread the disease to perhaps half of the United States, and kill perhaps 1-2% of those infected. With a population of over 330 million, and with Congress being told that the infection could reach 75 to 150 million, that means that as many as 3 million people could die. Unless something is done.

Number of cases to date per the CDC..............4,163,892. That's just a tad less than 150 million for those not smart enough to understand the science.

The pandemic is over?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CV is more contagious than the flu. It is a more dangerous illness with a higher death rate. It is especially dangerous for at risk populations.

A typical flu season infects some 10 to 50 million per year. That is with vaccines that reduce the number some (a lot). It was reasonable to consider that the CV COULD infect 25% to 50% of the population of the US if NOTHING was done to reduce the spread of the disease.

What often is not considered (this time I am referring to you Mrgybe) is that this virus had/has potential for causing severe disruption to the medical response. The shortage of protective gear left us flat footed. Shutting down was the only realistic option to avoid the POTENTIAL for the infection to reach the early warning numbers.

We are doing a LOT to keep those numbers from exploding. I would guess that even you Mrgybe, are not entertaining in your summer beach house with the frequency of a usual "flu year". I would also guess that YOU are practicing social distancing much more than you would with a flu. Are my guesses incorrect?

Flat out question Mrgybe. What do YOU believe the death rate for this virus would have been without mitigation? You should have a number since you are so critical of the numbers presented by others.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
I would guess that even you Mrgybe, are not entertaining in your summer beach house with the frequency of a usual "flu year". I would also guess that YOU are practicing social distancing much more than you would with a flu. Are my guesses incorrect?

First guess.......incorrrect. Second guess.......correct. What's your point?

coboardhead wrote:
Flat out question Mrgybe. What do YOU believe the death rate for this virus would have been without mitigation? You should have a number since you are so critical of the numbers presented by others.

Why would I waste time conjuring up a hypothetical number that will not occur? There was never any question that we would take mitigating steps, it's absurd to think otherwise. So to blurt out an estimate that 9 million people in the US could die from Covid-19 between the end of April and the middle of May, while simultaneously sneering at the "anti-science GOP voters", is laughable and deserving of ridicule. It is that type of scaremongering that has frightened millions of people into avoiding vital preventative treatments and emergency room visits. The cost of that repeated hyperbolic messaging will be high.,
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 players on the Marlins tested positive, games cancelled. Just like the FLU.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 242, 243, 244 ... 250, 251, 252  Next
Page 243 of 252

Jump to: