myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nutty California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107 ... 203, 204, 205  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
How old are you?

How old do I need to be?

mrgybe wrote:
Isn't it the goal of an educator to improve their students?
No, it is to teach them life skills & how to become critical thinkers. The concept of improvement is in the eye of the beholder so your goal of teaching to improve becomes indoctrination which coming from you makes sense.

mrgybe wrote:
Do you tell your football players that it's OK to punch back if someone punches them?
I teach them self-defense so in a way, yes. I teach my team to immediately leave the field if a fight breaks out & squad up behind me while my coaches break up the fight. Players are only allowed to pull teammates from an engagement; not join in. It is a policy now copied & applied throughout northern CA.

mrgybe wrote:
Or to tell other students that they are stupid if they hold a different view?
Of course not; that would be your territory.

mrgybe wrote:
Justifying bad behavior by pointing to the alleged bad behavior of others is not persuasive.
No I do not; that is a hypocrite who would apply to you & Techno. I have repeatedly pointed out & accepted the problems in CA.

mrgybe wrote:
If I recall correctly Techno's views on CA have credibility since he used to live there and his brother still does.
You are aware of how long ago Techno lived here, right? Is there a time limit on credibility? Is so, how long? How much does credibility decrease over time? Do I dismiss my grandfather's credibility or all my cousins that still live there?

mrgybe wrote:
He criticizes proposed tax policy or spending programs and backs it up with opinion pieces and data.
Let us be honest here. Opinion pieces, not data. OPINION PIECES that he poses as data.

mrgybe wrote:
Your response is to repeatedly dismiss his state........one you have never visited....... as racist and ignorant.
My response is to point out an obvious flaw in his state that until recently they have refused to address. The fact that his state was flying flags, statues & monuments of the Confederacy, very high death rates were facts, not opinion pieces; see the difference. Are you implying that NC never had Confederate flags, statues or monuments in places of honor or prominence? Or are you implying that those were not racist?

mrgybe wrote:
See the difference?
I do; you don't.

mrgybe wrote:
I doubt your parents and students have heard you express those views.......neither should they from someone who is supposed to show them a better way.
Hypocrisy is only a better way in the eyes of the beholder. That may be your way, it is not mine.

Coachg
real-human

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Every state has issues, nothing new with that. North Carolina as well as many other states have been aggressively dealing with the concerns of the black community, including removing statutes on public land. Private property is another issue. I support the things that I believe will improve my state, and removing the statues is fine with me, but I do believe that there is a place for them somewhere, where the historical implications (even negative) can be preserved as a part of our country's past history.

This whole thread surfaced because California, under it's current liberal leadership has been digging a financial hole that may be impossible to climb out from. I could have picked on other states, but Calif. is where I grew up, and I hate to see where it is going. Most of the things that I have posted are samples of what can happen when the left pushes too hard to the left, including illegal immigration. There are plenty of other liberal states that are just as nutty.

When it comes to "silence is complicity", Mac won't respond to the earlier part of this current topic - is a wealth tax something that he supports, including 10 years post moving out of state. I have offered my opinion/concern above, but his silence as well as the rest of the lefties here suggests to me that the wealth tax is a nutty option.

Just as we should not have Hitler memorabilia statues around we should have all the confederate ones rounded up and used at the wastewater treatment plant where all the piss and turds are initially passed on top of them. This solves all problems we get to know out piss and crap are used in a proper application and racist right wingers have their monuments they can go visit at a right winger museum that smells like them.

mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coachg, You may wish to slow down your relentless stream of accusations and disparaging comments; it's becoming embarrassing.
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, I lived in Los Angles for 23 years, Dallas, TX for 49 (4 of those include college), and now in North Carolina for 7.5 years.

NC because my wife's family is here and she wanted to be near them in retirement, so I said fine, and the Outer Banks seemed like a strong positive although a bit of a drive to get there. I didn't like the idea of a state income tax and higher gas taxes, but in the great scheme of things - no big deal. At the time we moved, I didn't consider the politics of the state.

Between my mom and dad and my brother and his family, we made frequent trips to the San Diego area where they all lived. We even considered that area for retirement. However, given the housing costs (we looked at many areas around San Diego), the taxes, cost of living and overcrowding/traffic - it was a no brainer to avoid the state. 7.5 years later, absolutely no regrets. Since I have been in NC, I have seen only two Confederate flags flying on a flag pole, a private residence 10 miles from where I live. The other along a small highway in a rural area.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note of support for the three long standing forum members (Mr. Gybe, Isobars, Techno) who are increasingly experiencing hatred and vitriol, with slurs on their intelligence and character. (Blame Techno for all the statues, blame Mr.Gybe for all Trump errors, blame Isobars for everything else and more besides!)

Of course people must be held to account for what they say, and believe, as some rightly, and forcibly, point out, though without the undertone of palpable hatred, and ill will.

I don't think it coincidence that many reasonable people who once added interest to these discussions have long since abandoned, and moved on while many who remain rarely bother to add much nowadays. Perhaps they feel it's all too toxic?
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno,

You & I could not agree more on southern California as I only visit there out of necessity, never by choice. The Bay area is the same; way too much traffic so I pick & choose very carefully the times to visit. I too, have many times considered moving out of state since the grass always appears greener. But since I refuse to move to a state that even gets a dusting of snow my choices are very limited & in the end my taxes would go way up. Sounds crazy but the property tax alone in Texas would be far more than the combined income & property tax I pay in CA because I have owned my home since 1997.

Coachg
mac

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Techno,

You & I could not agree more on southern California as I only visit there out of necessity, never by choice. The Bay area is the same; way too much traffic so I pick & choose very carefully the times to visit. I too, have many times considered moving out of state since the grass always appears greener. But since I refuse to move to a state that even gets a dusting of snow my choices are very limited & in the end my taxes would go way up. Sounds crazy but the property tax alone in Texas would be far more than the combined income & property tax I pay in CA because I have owned my home since 1997.

Coachg

Agreed. I graduated from South Torrance High School in 1967, and lived where I could walk to the beach with a surfboard. I visited San Diego for the first time as an adult in 1968 when the freeways were uncrowded. I worked to protect the lagoons of San Diego County for many years. If Techno was a little bit less nasty in the way he started this thread, I would agree that there are many problems in California, including especially the population growth since the early 1960's.

We could also say that the solutions that have been tried since the 1960's, by both the left and the right, have not solved the problems. The right came up with term limits, district elections, and Proposition 13. The left came up with no-growth policies that have delivered a shortage of housing of all kinds, and an urban and suburban fabric that is highly dependent on the automobile. The anti-tax policies, which Techno is so fond of, have starved local governments and resulted in dozens of little work-arounds that mostly just kick the can down the road. The no-growth policies didn't work; California's population has grown from under 16 million in 1960 to nearly 40 million now. Our housing costs are very high, and our tax policies for those houses make it difficult to actually provide the residents with the infrastructure they need.

Attributing those problems, as Techno has done, to liberals, is uninformed at best. Most of the structural problems have their roots in the time that California was predominately Republican, particularly in Southern California. As just one example, we have known since 1970 which areas near cities are very high risk for wildfires. At that time, the wildfire threat was primarily during Santa Ana conditions; now it is nearly half the year, and is the leading signal of climate change, which will kill people every year from now on. It was conservative County Boards of Supervisors, in Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego Counties that I am very familiar with, that adopted land use policies that allowed development in those areas. It was term limits that allowed those politicians to move on to other political jobs before the houses burned down.

GT--if someone like Techno posts, as he has repeatedly, suspect articles that reinforce his biases against immigrants, I'm going to call him on it. That's not blaming him for the monuments in North Carolina--it is identifying his silence as part of the problem. But it is 2020, the Civil Rights Act was passed 55 years ago. That means that North Carolina has clung to their monuments for most of my life.

One of the reasons that I moved away from Southern California was the prevalence of anti-Mexican comments. Slurs like "greasers" and "beaners" were part of everyday comments at my high school. It has changed, but it is not gone.

Last edited by mac on Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT. Thanks.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT, thanks for the support.

You've painted yourself in the wrong corner to crap on a few folks from the left that you consider too extreme in their commentary. I guess we all reveal who we are in the arena.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Quote:
California Dems’ Wealth Tax Follows People Who Move Out of the State.

Assemblyman Rob Bonta (D-Oakland) made an appearance on “Cavuto: Coast to Coast” Friday to discuss his Wealth Tax proposal. Bonta told Cavuto the tax “affects about 0.15% of the California population — not the top 10%, not the top 1%, the top .15%, about 30,000 people.”

California Globe reported Bonta held a Zoom press conference Thursday announcing his legislation to tax the state’s wealthiest job creators and innovators – he claimed the “30,400 billionaires” living and working in California. (According to CNBC, there are only 630 billionaires in the entire United States.)

Knowing about the huge outbound migration from California, Cavuto asked what would happen to wealthy people who move out of state. Bonta said tax “avoidance” would not be allowed as California would tax them for the next ten years, despite what state they live in. Bonta said that because they accrued the wealth in California, the state can continue to legally tax it.

https://www.independentsentinel.com/dems-plan-a-wealth-tax-on-people-who-move-in-or-out-of-california/

Quote:
To refresh your memory, Techno never did any homework to tell us anything about the bill, and then speculated whether or not Bonta was my representative. Here's the rest of the story.

The rich are safe, for now: As expected, a last-minute bill that would have created the nation’s first state wealth tax failed to advance. Introduced on Aug. 13, AB2088 would have levied a tax of 0.4% of net worth, excluding directly held real estate, that exceeds $30 million for most taxpayers. People subject to the tax who moved out of the state would still have to pay it, in declining amounts, for up to 10 years, a provision critics said was unconstitutional.

Author Rob Bonta, D-Oakland, said when he introduced the union-sponsored bill that it would not be heard before the Legislature adjourned, but “it can be reintroduced on day one of the next session.”

A proposed “millionaire’s tax” also did not advance. AB1253 would have raised California’s top personal income tax rate — already the highest in the nation at 13.3% — to 16.8%, retroactively to Jan. 1. It would have add a surcharge of 1% to incomes between roughly $1 million and $2 million, 3% on income between $2 million and $5 million, and 3.5% on income greater than $5 million, bringing the top rate to 16.8%.

Anyone who has been close to the legislative process know that there are bills introduced that go nowhere. Or those by anti-abortion zealots that try to get the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade. Virtue signaling or making a donor happy. Not news.

I'll wait patiently for Techno's apology. I know it will take some time to chew through the crow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107 ... 203, 204, 205  Next
Page 106 of 205

Jump to: