myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
DUMP THE TURD NOVEMBER THIRD!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: DUMP THE TURD NOVEMBER THIRD! Reply with quote

NW, maybe you should take take heed of mrgybe. You can sit this one out, wait for a real man or you can vote for full on civil war and the destruction of America. mrgybe seems to have some scruples despite his vehement defense of the turd. Take heed of him.

Your choice. I suggest you buy this sign and put it in your yard and wait for a real republican. America will thank you. I will thank you. Until then cue up some Mike Bloomfield and Peter Green.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0278/1822/9857/products/GG0092-PoliticalCampaign-DumpTheTurd-JoeBiden2020ForPresident-YS-Mock_8ffa6e95-58ae-4a94-bfbc-6302a4944de8_2000x.jpg?v=1596904691
mac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, a citation of two of the greatest guitarists ever!

In case someone doesn’t know. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAefTj7GXwQ
mac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smRXnyUWktg

Mike with Electric Flag.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloomfield was the real deal. Soaking up blues in the Chicago clubs, playing with Muddy Waters as early as 1959. The Stones and Clapton learned from records. Bloomfield was in the clubs playing alongside the greats. He was the best blues (and country folk) guitarist on the planet at the time.

No wonder Dylan sought him out and recruited him for highway 61 revisited (Like a rolling stone) and before it’s release, to be his backing band for his electric performance at Newport. If you listen to Maggies Farm from Newport, all you hear is Bloomfield’s guitar. Rehearsed roughly just hours before Dylan decided he wanted to go electric. The audience was shocked and Dylan was forced to come back out later with just his acoustic. Later Dylan asked Bloomfield to tour with him, Bloomfield declined as he wanted to play blues.

There is a good book by Ed Ward that really details his troubled life and genius as a guitar player. Sad thing is, he was excepted by all the black musicians as authentic but shunned by the white journalists as not authentic because he was white. When I was playing blues in the 80’s and going to clubs, I was amazed at the acceptance from the black musicians, even as crappy white player. Everyone was incredibly accepting and helpful. Got to play with Muddy Waters guitar player Koko Taylor’s drummer and many other “authentic” black musicians on stage. A thrill I will always cherish. They were all so gracious and accessible. Sadly, most of those clubs are gone as are most of those musicians.

All Bloomfields 10,000 hours happened before any white audiences ever heard of B.B. King or any blues players for that matter. The music wasn’t known to white audiences until the early 60’s when the British kids brought it back to America. Electric flag was a short lived Bloomfield creation because he wanted brass instruments in his band. He recruited Buddy Miles from Wilson Picket band and future Jimi Hendrix drummer.
jse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J64TWB wrote:
Bloomfield was the real deal. Soaking up blues in the Chicago clubs, playing with Muddy Waters as early as 1959. The Stones and Clapton learned from records. Bloomfield was in the clubs playing alongside the greats. He was the best blues (and country folk) guitarist on the planet at the time.

No wonder Dylan sought him out and recruited him for highway 61 revisited (Like a rolling stone) and before it’s release, to be his backing band for his electric performance at Newport. If you listen to Maggies Farm from Newport, all you hear is Bloomfield’s guitar. Rehearsed roughly just hours before Dylan decided he wanted to go electric. The audience was shocked and Dylan was forced to come back out later with just his acoustic. Later Dylan asked Bloomfield to tour with him, Bloomfield declined as he wanted to play blues.

There is a good book by Ed Ward that really details his troubled life and genius as a guitar player. Sad thing is, he was excepted by all the black musicians as authentic but shunned by the white journalists as not authentic because he was white. When I was playing blues in the 80’s and going to clubs, I was amazed at the acceptance from the black musicians, even as crappy white player. Everyone was incredibly accepting and helpful. Got to play with Muddy Waters guitar player Koko Taylor’s drummer and many other “authentic” black musicians on stage. A thrill I will always cherish. They were all so gracious and accessible. Sadly, most of those clubs are gone as are most of those musicians.

All Bloomfields 10,000 hours happened before any white audiences ever heard of B.B. King or any blues players for that matter. The music wasn’t known to white audiences until the early 60’s when the British kids brought it back to America. Electric flag was a short lived Bloomfield creation because he wanted brass instruments in his band. He recruited Buddy Miles from Wilson Picket band and future Jimi Hendrix drummer.

Interesting. I always loved Bloomfield's flowing style, light touch and use of vibrato. One of my all time favorite albums is "Fathers and Sons". As a college student at University of Southwest Louisiana, in 1972, I piped it through the dorm to the joy of many of my neighbors.

Steve
mac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely agreed. I had the good fortune to see Bloomfield with the Electric Flag at the Avalon Ballroom in 1968, and with Steve Stills and Al Kooper at the Fillmore. He could play anything, from gut wrenching blues to ethereal solos. He was skilled at acoustic guitar, and played ragtime and bottleneck with ease. His work on East West with Butterfield and Elvin Bishop stands up better than almost anything from that era.

Musicians recognize other musicians, and play for them as much as for audiences. It is no surprise that Dylan recognized Bloomfield's talent and passion--he was a musician, not the second coming. He also recognized another of my favorite musicians of the time, who is still playing, David
Bromberg. I've seen him many times, including recently, and he is perhaps my favorite musician. Can play it all, from old time to boisterous blues, and plays it all with the proper respect.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find this interesting mac. Bloomfield’s audition for John Hammond. Listen closely to the banter between the two. The full audition is on youtube where you can hear him sear into some blues number.

This is an example of how good his fingerpicking and musicology was in this clip. Note: before any mechanical tuners. Always a problem back in the day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYr7-SDhRFI
mac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J64TWB wrote:
You might find this interesting mac. Bloomfield’s audition for John Hammond. Listen closely to the banter between the two. The full audition is on youtube where you can hear him sear into some blues number.

This is an example of how good his fingerpicking and musicology was in this clip. Note: before any mechanical tuners. Always a problem back in the day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYr7-SDhRFI

J64–that’s very close to Cannonball Rag, a tune I’ve played for years. Not that well, not that fast. The best I’ve ever seen/heard it played was by Tommy Emmanuel, you can see a version here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3m0LLHX0tw

Mike would have been 21 when that rag was recorded. He could play anything.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My windsurfing season is shot for the year. Been playing so much electric that my elbow is toast from tendinitis. The vibrato (blues bends) are destroying my older tendons. Should probably change down a gauge. Covid really promoted a ton of playing for me trying to learn full solos off youtube. I’ve never played better, but at a cost.

Here is one I’m still trying to learn. At least parts. You can slow down the speed without changing the pitch but even then its still excruciatingly difficult. I don’t do tab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbpGMF4bcbU
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J64,

I still have that album "Super Session"! Always been one of my favorites! Mike Bloomfield's tone was unsurpassed! Clean fender twin being driven hard with a Les Paul.

You might try tuning down a half step to E flat. Hendrix and Stevie Ray both did this, but maybe you already know this trick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: