myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sad news, Ian Hirschsohn found dead in Baja

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loopless

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Sad news, Ian Hirschsohn found dead in Baja Reply with quote

Sadly, very upsetting news ..
Avid windsurfer, pilot, kayaker and Punta San Carlos veteran Ian Hirschsohn and his partner have been found dead.

I wish I could write some sort of eulogy that would do him justice, but I only know a small window into his long and varied life through my contacts with him windsurfing at PSC and Lake Hodges.

He was certainly one of the PSC pioneers - some remember the famous incident where a bunch of drunk PSC so-called locals tried to burn his structure down ( very ineffectually).

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/local/san-diego-couple-missing-in-baja-mexico-found-dead/509-5d7f8e5f-7783-4107-8831-ac6ea168cb03

Please show some respect to his memory by not replying with posts that trash Baja and it's people that he loved so much.
jc_surfsail

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad indeed, condolences to his family and friends.
JamesHardy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian was a Baja character and a true original. He was one of the first to fly into Carlos with the Baja Bush Pilots. Through the years Ian flew out more then a few seriously injured sailers and kiters. He will be missed!
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the border was officially closed until 9/19. Apparently not.
JamesHardy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waterat Pat wrote:

That's fake news, the boarder is still open they have just reduced the number of inspection lanes on the US side to 3. The wait to get back into the US is up to 4 hours at rush hour and on the weekends but if you have a SENTRI pass the wait is still 0-30 minutes. A few of us mostly surfers and windsurfers with SENTRI passes we call it "the golden ticket" are still heading down if there is a swell of which have been small, few, and far between but it is due-able.
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesHardy wrote:
Waterat Pat wrote:

That's fake news, the boarder is still open they have just reduced the number of inspection lanes on the US side to 3. The wait to get back into the US is up to 4 hours at rush hour and on the weekends but if you have a SENTRI pass the wait is still 0-30 minutes. A few of us mostly surfers and windsurfers with SENTRI passes we call it "the golden ticket" are still heading down if there is a swell of which have been small, few, and far between but it is due-able.

The U.S. Department of State updated the Travel Advisory for outbound travel to Mexico from "do not travel to Mexico due to COVID-19", to "reconsider travel to Mexico" on Sep 8. For inbound traffic this was the official Travel advisory from https://mx.usembassy.gov/travel-restrictions-fact-sheet/ : The United States will temporarily limit inbound land border crossings from Canada and Mexico to “essential travel”. These restrictions went into effect on March 21, 2020 and were coordinated with the Governments of Mexico and Canada. As of yesterday:
"The U.S. State Department has lowered its travel advisory for Mexico to a Level 3 from its highest possible Level 4, days before the U.S.-Mexico border closure is due to expire on Sept. 21."

Bad news. Instead of continuing to keep the border closed (what happened to the wall?) and ignoring all the data showing cross border infection spread, this criminal administration continues to act as if the situation is back to normal: the pandemic is fake news. Close to 200,000 people dead, 400,000-500,000 forecast by December are apparently nothing to Mr. Trump.
JamesHardy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am embarrassed for you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: