myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Dedicated foilboard opinions sought
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wseibert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Dedicated foilboard opinions sought Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I took up foiling this summer after Andy Brandt introduced me to it in June. I have a Slingshot 76" foil, 61cm mast, that I've been using with a powerplate adapter on my Angulo Release 145 liter board (about 4 sessions). Unfortunately, the adapter cracked the bottom deck of my board (without running aground), so this setup is out. I'm 200 lbs, which could explain the damage.

So I'm looking for a dedicated foilboard. I considered a board that could double as a fin windsurfing board, but I think differences in footstrap placement make that a difficult option. So i'm seeking a dedicated windfoiling board.

I've been thinking that the Slingshot Levitator 150L is the way to go, as it has the lightwind float for my 200 lbs and is a similar volume to what I've been using.

However, I've been looking at the multi-purpose boards like the Slingshot Shred Sled (143L) and the Goya Air Bolt (155L), as those could also move me into winging and sup foiling down the road.

Do you have any opinions about the Levitator vs. a multi-use board? On the hull design differences (the multi-use boards have those very different rails), my only concern is getting up onto the foil. Is the Levitator is significantly significantly better at planing up onto the foil than the multi-use type? I'm not sure many people have experience with both at this point, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

Will
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're asking about 2021 stuff that nobody has tried and costs $2,000.
Get something floaty and practice lots.
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't state, but what multi-use options are you looking at? SUP, Windsurf, Wing, kite?

All are valid options. I assume you want to windsurf since you are on the windsurf forum. If all you want to do is wind-foil, with a windsurfing rig, then get a dedicated foil board. If you want to do other sports with your foil, then perhaps a multi-option board is the ticket.

I know one guy who has the larger Fanatic Foil multi-option board, which he likes. Like most guys, he just started recently Wind-Foiling and now Wing-Foiling. He's over 200 lbs. He's now looking to purchase a dedicated Wing-Foiling board. Generally, speaking dedicated boards are better for their dedicated sports. Multi-option jack of all trades are fine until a rider becomes proficient enough to become limited by his/her equipment. Then the rider begins the long slow process of building a quiver, finding room to store the quiver, and explaining to the significant other why the quiver has taken over the garage and the cars are now parked on the street.

Bottom Line: It's all so new, your equipment will be obsolete by the time the season is over. So, get over it and get on with it. By next year, you should start to see decent prices on still new (but now outdated) gear from this year! Reminds me of the 80's windsurfing scene when the gear was progressing faster than most sailors.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the levitator and the shred sled.

I have discussed the differences here
https://secure.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Foiling/Slingshot-Shredsled?page=1#21

Both are great. I am pretty sure you would have an easier time learning to windfoil on the levitator. And I believe the levitator has a slight light wind advantage.

But if you wanted to dabble in windfoiling, but mostly focus on learning to wing the shredsled might be the way to go. Although, it is possible to wing on the levitator. I haven't tried the wingding though with any board.

For me, the shredsled is a big board that rides how I ride my small gear, so I prefer that, and am willing to give up some of the lightwind advantage that the levitator offers

PS: I have my levitator forsale on iwindsurd

PPS: feel free to DM me if you want to chat on the phone
jmblaney

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Levitator and JP135 are excellent boards to learn and progress on. Any of the other dedicated foil boards in the 135-150L size range should also be fine. Note that "anything floaty" that does not have a well reinforced Tuttle box will break.

Shred Sleds are definitely on the water now. A very good SF Bay area foiler (Roland) was sailing his at Treasure Island last weekend. It may be no more difficult to learn on than a more traditional design like the JP135 or Levitator: that depends more on the wing you learn with than the board. The I76 is perfect to learn on for 15 mph or more at your weight. The I76 is a top wing as you progress, too. Roland was on the giant Slingshot I99 and sailing great in the light conditions of 15-20mph. That I99 should also get you going down to 10-12. I believe he got it for light wind foiling and learning to wing. The Shred Sled looks like it will perform very well for winging, too, but I've only seen that in videos so far (Wyatt).
Goodwind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland and jmblaney, it appears that you can windfoil the Shred Sleds with front footstraps after all even though Slingshot said you can only sail strapless. I've been told that front footstraps are essential for beginners. Is that true?  Can you carry the sail and board together with the bottom carrying handle? This is a deal breaker for me if you can't.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people learn to windfoil strapless, but most use one front strap. I am a big fan of two straps and put both straps on the shredsled. But, I think the inserts are intended more for winging or sup as there is limited ducking. However, they do work for me.

The handle in the bottom of the board does make it easier to carry board and sail together.

Not sure, but I think the shredsled might be a little more difficult to learn on than the JP 135 or Levitator.

I kind of agree with Gerritt and think it's better to start windfoiling on gear that will be easiest to foil and learn to gybe on first. Then progress to more freestyle or race gear when you are ready.
Goodwind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Roland. I'm actually more interested in winging than windfoiling (already have a wing and learning on my huge SUP). Most wingers recommend me to start on bigger boards. While considering bigger boards, I was like, why not get one that I can windfoil too?  One of the reasons I am not so enthusiastic about windfoiling is the need to carry a board and sail to the water separately. That bottom handle on the Shred Sleds gets me interested. Hope to see you at the stick in the fall so that I can get a closer look.  
LUCARO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah with the rising popularity of winging, crossover boards make lots of sense.
usa4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Will.
I had a custom wingboard built earlier this spring for foiling winging and windsurf foiling. It was more or less based off wizard 125 and had specs of 6'-0" x 29-1/2" x 5-1/2 x 120l. It had 2 foil tracks on the bottom to accomodate a forward mast position for winging and an aft position for foil windsurfing and both in board and outboard straps.

The board was incredibly easy to learn to wing foil on with the moses 1100 and 790 front wings & an 85cm stiff mast. Suffice to say, I had such a fun time learning to wing and progressing up the learning curve the last few months, that I never used it for wind foiling. I just sold it to someone who's going to use it for both while I move to a smaller dedicated wing only board.

For winging, the sweet spot from the center line of the mast was about 20" back from the rear insert of the center foostraps. For windsurf foiling, it's further back. You can probably get one board to do what your looking to do but you'll need 2 tracks to do it well. The windsurf fuselages also tend to be longer compared to those for winging.

Hope this helps,
Good luck
sb

3.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  146.84 KB
 Viewed:  38291 Time(s)

3.png

2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.02 KB

2.jpg

1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  120.51 KB

1.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: