myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Status of Kanaha sensor?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Status of Kanaha sensor? Reply with quote

I know it was being relocated, but it was supposed to have been done earlier this week. Any updates?

Steve
SAS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It last worked Sept 8 with no warning. Good customer service would have included informing us ahead of time and a timeline on when to expect it to be working again.

How long does it take to replace an antenna?

This sensor is the only reason I pay for an Iwindsurf membership.

They lost their Hoopika sensor long ago, and now the only ones for the north shore of Maui are available to the public without paying Iwindsurf.

I plan to cancel my membership before my next monthly fee is due if it is not working by then and suggest other Maui sailors do the same.
JamesHardy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mauiguy wrote:
It last worked Sept 8 with no warning. Good customer service would have included informing us ahead of time and a timeline on when to expect it to be working again.

They lost their Hoopika sensor long ago, and now the only ones for the north shore of Maui are available to the public without paying Iwindsurf.

I plan to cancel my membership before my next monthly fee is due if it is not working by then and suggest other Maui sailors do the same.

Dude you live on Maui right? I have no idea why you would be paying for wind meters and forecast data other then you want to support shoe string businesses in our sport that need our support. It's Maui watch the local news weather before you go to sleep and in the morning walk outside then see if it looks windy? (written in honest jest(kind of)).
jse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesHardy wrote:
mauiguy wrote:

Dude you live on Maui right? I have no idea why you would be paying for wind meters and forecast data other then you want to support shoe string businesses in our sport that need our support. It's Maui watch the local news weather before you go to sleep and in the morning walk outside then see if it looks windy? (written in honest jest(kind of)).

Often I look at the direction and the trend. It could be blowing 20+ all day, but too east (beasty easties) or too north (shore runs). Nice thing about living on Maui is the concept of “there’s always tomorrow”. I don’t sweat missing a day like I did in Cali. If iWindsurf gives me an indication that my efforts will be rewarded with a less than stellar day, I’ll catch up on my yard work. I still find value in the service.

Steve
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve c'mon man... Your only issue is it 4.7 or 3.7?, 78 liters or 68 liters... iWindsurf not needed..
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you make the commitment, you deserve your just reward.
fxop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanaha Facebook group says sewage treatment plant is wafflng about the re-install. Maui still has the Kahului airport sensor, in continuous operation since the late 1930's. Now contrast this with the Waddell sensor, down since the 8/20 fire. Waddell sailable days only 2x per week this summer (not counting the July oh-fer) and a 2 hour round trip for many sailors. Pretty critical sensor, but nobody has said a single word on this forum about it.

fxop
SAS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fxop:

You seem to be implying that Maui sailors shouldn't complain because the Waddell sensor is down from a fire and nobody has mentioned that on this forum. Your comparison is weak:

1) a major fire is not an "antenna replacement." California is still having major fires and it should be understood things can take time to fix. I would imagine there are issues such as power, and it's not just replacing some hardware. I would be patient there also.

2) a lot of people who sail Waddell will go to other coast, bay, and river spots and get benefit from the sensors at those places. I used to live there, and my common spots included the coast, Crissy, Sherman Island, and occasionally other bay spots. I got value from iwindsurf and their precursor Call of the Wind because they had so many sensors of use to me.

Maui sailors sail just a few areas. We already lost the Hookipa sensor long ago. The airport sensor is not as accurate, and its info is available for free. Since many of us like me only sail the north shore, we are paying Iwindsurf for one sensor, Kanaha. Without that one sensor, their service is worthless to us since the airport info is free to the public. My post is trying to enlighten Iwindsurf to this issue so they know they will lose customers if the Kanaha sensor is not fixed.

3) Iwindsurf should not be relying on Friends of Kanaha to keep us informed

4) your season is winding down. Waddell won't see much wind for months, so many people are not noticing its absence and won't until next year. Our wind season is all year round, and for many of us the time between now and mid April is the key time of year since the north swells pick up. However, the wind is more variable than in summer, so good sensors are quite helpful.

Last, for those above who feel we don't need sensors in Maui, just the forecast and to walk outside, you're wrong. The forecast is often wrong, or a forecast of 15 knots might be 10 or even over 25. The wind where I live and my work does not reflect the wind where I sail. And as noted above from another local, the direction matters. I know the current sensor so well I can typically know what size to rig just from its reading.

jse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another use for iWindsurf on Maui is the rental shops. This is not much of an issue now due to covid, but I do see some rental sails on the water. You go into any shop, they have a monitor up with IW and the webcam. People come in to rent gear and a quick look at the meter and a recommendation from the shop tells them what sizes to rent.

Airport is not updated frequently enough for that purpose, nor is sticking your wet finger out the door or looking at the palm trees. Without the sensor it's an educated guess what sizes to rent.

Steve
fxop

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't want to ruffle feathers. Was actually hoping to get a status on the W sensor.

Is there a consistent offset between the OGG airport sensor and the iwindsurf sensor? OGG seems lower to me.

fxop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: