myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wildfires and global warming
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After Mrgybe's snarky comment about the problems with fires in the West, I did a little bit of research. I had a memory of a really bad fire in Tennessee a few years back. So, I looked it up.

In Gatlinburg, TN, there was a fire in 2016 that destroyed 2400 structures and killed 14 people. Is this possible, Mrgybe with your area's commitment to preventing fires? Isn't Gatilnburg just over the hill from your house?

Techno and Mrgybe. Are you guys sure you aren't living in fire prone areas? I wouldn't guess about it if I were you. The Eastern US is subject to widespread fire risk...

https://wjla.com/features/7-on-your-side/wild-fires-dc-virginia-maryland-forest-service-budget
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Oh dear, I'm going to have to explain this more slowly. Of course the forests in the mid Atlantic are more moist and less prone to fires than the "bone dry" nirvana you all find so appealing. That's the point! Even with a significantly lower fire risk, much of the region has had the good sense to fund proper forest management over decades. Yet you lot, with your homes, health and economy routinely at risk, prefer to constantly talk about climate change and to fund electric vehicles for the well heeled. Talk about fiddling while Rome burns. So, for the seventeenth time, it's a question of focus and priorities! Your choice.

BTW Boggsy, from my SW Va house it is about 60 miles to the horizon. All forest with hardly a structure in sight. About 15 million acres out there. That's large.

Yes but its moist, and humid.. Low fire danger. The West doesn't see a speck of rain for 6 months straight, every year. And yeah, it is appealing. Everyday is sailing day, a MTB day, a surfing day, nirvana ....
Point is to reduce fire danger in the Western US it would be a massive undertaking. massive.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
I spent a couple weeks wandering through rural SW Va (flew into Roanoake) finding barns to dismantle and move to Telluride for a wealthy client. So, I was not in the "groomed" part of your forests. I was on, largely, private land. The forests were far denser and overgrown than any forests in my region. In fact, it was difficult to hike off trail at all. I didn't see much effort being put into protecting properties from fires like we see in the more well-heeled neighborhoods in Colorado.

SW Virginia, and neighboring West Virginia are very poor, so private lands probably don't compare well with the properties of your wealthy clients and to the well heeled neighborhoods of Colorado. The owners certainly can't afford to send people to the other side of the country to buy up cheap, but chic, knick knacks.

Look, you people out West can do what you like. If climate change is your priority, and you resent opinions that immediate meaningful forestry management should take precedence, fine. If pointing to fires elsewhere in the country makes you feel better about your own smoldering forests, fine. Your choice......it makes no difference to me. FYI, Gatlinburg is 350 miles from my place.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrgybe

You're the one who claimed that they do a better job with forest management on the East Coast than the West Coast. I contend that your area has the same issues; although, to a lesser extent.

You make my point about the poor having more difficulty managing fire around their lands. That's why we need to fund fire prevention as a national strategy. Not for my rich clients. But, for the folks that cannot afford to mitigate the effects of a warmer climate that are exacerbated by carbon loading.

Techno's strategy would have those poor folks in W. VA and VA buying more insurance or moving. That's just not feasible or fair. Unless they sell my client a barn, many don't have a lot of capital to work with.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody that actually knows anything about the west and fire and silviculture is arguing "...that immediate meaningful forestry management " should not take precedence. Indeed, mrgybe has avoided any recognition that California has put additional money into their budget for meaningful forestry management--while the Federal government under a man who makes fun of the disabled has cut the budget for meaningful forestry management.

Anyone who thinks that California has the capacity to compel Trump and Moscow Mitch to put more money into California programs is either practicing sophistry or magical thinking. Indeed, since Trump will lose California by millions of votes, and is uninterested in governing both red and blue states, his only use for California is to rile up his base.

Mrgybe doesn't take much riling. He'll repeat Trump/Hannity/WSJ talking points without bothering to actually learn anything.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coboardhead said:
Quote:
Techno and Mrgybe. Are you guys sure you aren't living in fire prone areas? I wouldn't guess about it if I were you. The Eastern US is subject to widespread fire risk...

Western NC - the mountains, is more likely to have fires:

Quote:
David Easterling, director of the National Climate Assessment Technical Support Unit Center for Weather and Climate in Asheville. "In 2016, we had our own version of what they are currently experiencing out west with the Gatlinburg (Tennessee) fire."

That blaze claimed 14 lives and destroyed or damaged 1,684 structures.

We also had significant fires that year here in WNC, after the driest fall on record since 1869. Wildfires scorched nearly 80,000 acres, forcing residents out of their homes and businesses to close. Firefighters from all 50 states traveled to Western North Carolina for a 21-day shift to keep blazes from demolishing structures or injuring people.

I live in the Raleigh area where annual rainfall averages 46.5 inches. It rains year round, with the low month, April with 2" and the high month, 4.5" in July.

There are woods that could burn nearby, but the odds are extremely remote that if there was a fire, that the residential neighborhoods adjacent to the woods could go up. I couldn't find annual averages for fires and acres, but looking at annual totals for the last 30 years in North Carolina, it appears that:

Average number of forest fires per year = +or- 4,500
Average number of acres burned = +or- 25,000

That's an average of less than 6 acres per fire. The worst year in the last 30 was 2016 where a total of 77,700 acres burned. No big deal compared to other areas of the country.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far you don't have much of a problem in your area. I live at 9000 feet. Typically, the start of our high mountain bike riding when the snow is off the trails above 10000 feet is late June and the higher forests WERE not clear by the 4 th of July. Then the Monsoons came in not long after that. They USED to call the forest surrounding my community the "asbestos forest". The reason was that by the time the snow melted, there was less than a month before the rains started.

That's not the case now. There are a number of reasons for this. One is that there is over grazing on Native American lands west of here. That causes wind storms to deposit dust on the snow which causes faster melting. The dust is increased when the desert southwest is subject to extended droughts.
Another is that the warmer weather (Colorado is already subject to some of the greatest warming in the nation) causes the summers to be warmer and longer.

The area where I am is notably warmer. Since the ecosystems here vary so dramatically by elevation (it is 5 degrees cooler for every 1000 foot elevation change) we see that 2 to 3 degree change causing stresses to the forests quickly. Bark beetles, in particular, are thriving on this warmer weather and moving into forests that would not support them before.

So, the areas that are subject to wild fires is getting larger. Fires are now able to spread over ridges that were previously too wet to support a fire. That imperils the next lower area that would have been protected by topography from fires before. So, that causes fires to grow into populated areas on more "fronts" and stretches fire fighters resources.

Now, we have larger populations subjected to greater risks and longer fire seasons. And, the fires are larger because more terrain is potentially engaged in a single fire.

Don't bet that your area will be immune from similar effects.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that change is not climate change, eh? Especially if you made your living developing propaganda about how wonderful petroleum is. Petroleum, a product like tobacco, that when used according to design, kills people with cancer.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
California’s Energy Scorecard Fails on the World Stage

September 23, 2020 By Ronald Stein

California, with 0.5 percent of the world’s population (40 million vs 8 billion) professes to be the leader of everything and through its dysfunctional energy policies imports more electricity than any other state – currently at 32 percent from the Northwest and Southwest – and has forced California to be the only state in contiguous America that imports most of its crude oil energy demands from foreign country suppliers to meet the energy demands of the state (58.4% from foreign countries and 12% from Alaska).

State energy policies have made California electricity and fuel prices among the highest in the nation which have been contributory to the rapid growth of “energy poverty” for the 18 million (45 percent of the 40 million Californians) that represent the Hispanic and African American populations of the state.

I wonder where California will get the power to charge all the car batteries? Over the last 35 years, California has decreased their own crude oil energy production by 50% (61.8% down to 29.7%).

https://www.foxandhoundsdaily.com/2020/09/californias-energy-scorecard-fails-on-the-world-stage/
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Quote:
California’s Energy Scorecard Fails on the World Stage

September 23, 2020 By Ronald Stein

California, with 0.5 percent of the world’s population (40 million vs 8 billion) professes to be the leader of everything and through its dysfunctional energy policies imports more electricity than any other state – currently at 32 percent from the Northwest and Southwest – and has forced California to be the only state in contiguous America that imports most of its crude oil energy demands from foreign country suppliers to meet the energy demands of the state (58.4% from foreign countries and 12% from Alaska).

State energy policies have made California electricity and fuel prices among the highest in the nation which have been contributory to the rapid growth of “energy poverty” for the 18 million (45 percent of the 40 million Californians) that represent the Hispanic and African American populations of the state.

I wonder where California will get the power to charge all the car batteries? Over the last 35 years, California has decreased their own crude oil energy production by 50% (61.8% down to 29.7%).

https://www.foxandhoundsdaily.com/2020/09/californias-energy-scorecard-fails-on-the-world-stage/

Elon and Nexterra are working on it Techno..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 19 of 24

Jump to: