myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Speed sailing in Norcal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fabe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed sailing in Norcal Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
fabe wrote:
Hi there,
Other than the stick, what other spots of speed windsurfing do we have around here?
Thanks

Stick is only good in the those good days when the wind comes up strong and sudden. Then you have half hour without chop. After that the chop is plenty enough to slow you down. If you go close to the freeway on the north side it is better. I never done more than a couple of occasional 36 knots (2") there, with more typical max speed 32-33 knots.

Haskins ("Flying Tigers") can be very good, it stays flat. But access is not that great.

I hear you, I am having a hard time going over 33 knots at the stick. Chop is a problem and my fastest runs are when I am coming back to shore, up bit upwind and flatter but I run out of runaway and need to jibe

Will look into Haskins for sure

What about Sherman Island, just east of the little island ?
fabe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
The trouble with going fast is that you are a loner...sailing by a bunch of people who hardly give you a glance.
Nobody cares about speed, except a handful of old farts who can barely jibe.
The new gen is all about freestyle, or some form of foiling...going slow.

Too old and stiff for those tricks . Foil seems boring, too smooth and I could see me impaling myself lol
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there ARE still a few guys, mostly old, who sail fast and avoid tricky moves at almost every windsurfing site in the Bay area.
Bodega Bay, there's Avery, pro level slalom sailor on 80 liter RRD Slalom/Speed.
At Pt.Isabelle, there are still a handful of 60+ year olds going pretty fast on mostly fast freeride gear. 3 mile reaches does promote faster sailing.
Stick, a few diehards on slalom gear...Isonics, Futuras, but annoying chop takes it's toll after a while.
San Luis has plenty of points and shallow water to zip around, but weeds are an issue during lower water periods.
meyer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it, windsurfing is more fun when you are going fast!
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s nothing more fun than drag racing a good friend.
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meyer wrote:
The way I see it, windsurfing is more fun when you are going fast!

Main reason I am so lukewarm about foiling ... a lot of trouble to go 10 knots slower ...
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, how is your Futura going, especially compared to your old Isonic?
I liked my Futura for top speed, while my Isonic is better at early planing, acceleration, and easier jubing.
That Isonic is going to get chopped into a wingfoil board.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would definitely check out the backside of Brooks Island next summer. When it works, it's a great, flat, and windy starboard reach.

Also, I would check out Crissy. There are often times large patches of fast water, but you have to go look for it, and you probably will get bounced around pretty good until you find it. Under the bridge somewhere on a good ebb often produces some very fast water... like blowing 20-25 with no whitecaps

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

Back in the early 90s, I happened by a day at Crissy where it was dead flat for a pretty good stretch right under the Golden Gate, which if I recall correctly was more toward the north side of the bridge.

It was uncanny how absolutely flat and smooth the water was. There was a more bumpy section before entering and exiting the flat water section, which was probably reflective of a notable change in the current flow.

Very unique overall and quite a treat, especially for a very occasional sailor from out of town.
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Dave, how is your Futura going, especially compared to your old Isonic?
I liked my Futura for top speed, while my Isonic is better at early planing, acceleration, and easier jubing.
That Isonic is going to get chopped into a wingfoil board.

I don't know yet. It was supposed to arrive in November but there is no trace of it yet ... I am still on the beat up Isonic 111 (it is the board that Devin crashed into a couple of years ago, with a nice 3" hole in the middle as a result!)

Crissy and speed: yes! Right before/around the "washing machine" there is a strange water resurgence current that occasionally instead of making for nightmarish chop gets you absolutely flat water. Very rare ... and nothing you can really count on for speed runs. But for 2" runs the inside of Point Anita can actually be flatter than Stick ... 30-33 knots is reachable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: