myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
3rd ave during baytrail closure
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmarik

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: 3rd ave during baytrail closure Reply with quote

Hi,
Does anyone have any info about the impact of the baytrail closure on 3rd ave water access? The fences in Foster City look quite serious.
Thanks.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: 3rd ave during baytrail closure Reply with quote

jmarik wrote:
Hi,
Does anyone have any info about the impact of the baytrail closure on 3rd ave water access? The fences in Foster City look quite serious.
Thanks.

I heard a rumor that we may lose 3rd ave after this summer
gerritt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a rumor: https://fostercitylevee.org/about/
jpf18

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: This has been discussed before Reply with quote

Previous post on this topic, going back two years:
http://iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33904&sid=8ac8d9f3a9b45c077b39f36a2262f1dc

There is mention of all sorts of accommodations for a variety of users, including:
"3. The ramps at the main WS launch, #2, and at the kiter's beach, #3,
would be improved to make them ADA compliant (with hand rails?) "

I'm not roped into this, not to obligate others... Perhaps it's a good time to circle back with the project owner and see if the current plans align with what was said two years ago.
windsrf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just gone thru major upgrade of launch at Pt. Isabel, I urge caution and hands-on involvement, starting now.

ADA usually means either hand rails or less than 5% slope.

Managed to avoid hand rails at PI - but it took serious involvement. They are NOT good idea when gear schlepping is involved.

5% slope can mean longer path/ramp and added cost.

Happy to advise further.

David
mark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several individuals from the 3rd avenue windsurfing and kiting groups that have been actively working with the city and the contractor. Below is a partial copy from one of the emails circulating around the windsurfing community. It summarizes the status of the area around the 3rd avenue launches and the proposed boat ramp planned for the western windsurf launch.

First off, thanks to the members of our community that joined the call with Tanner Pacific and the city today. I somehow got an invite, thanks to whoever made that happen.

It was a productive meeting, and it felt to me like the construction company and the city is committed to ensuring we will have continued access provided it is safe. They intend to minimize impacts to be during the winter months. And they want to maintain open communication with us.

A few people shared their concerns and questions ahead of the call with me via the linked google doc below, and I have added the responses which I took away from the call.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A2PYWLqFuqiR9hyk0cyfjr0YSOBSgvVoOOGqz-ZgE_U/edit#gid=0

The main take aways I learned were:
1. The parking lot will stay open throughout.
2. The levy path from the lot around mariners to the upper kite launch will stay open throughout
3. The windsurf/wing ramp is going to be improved, and will be closed during it's construction.
4. The ramp in bad disrepair just west of the windsurf / wing ramp, is the site of a new to be constructed city access boat ramp. This may have closure impacts during construction.
5. The lower kite launch, kite beach, is going to be very impacted, with a lot of construction, as well as upgrades to have ramps from the levy down to the beach, and there will be turf installed there again. Closures there could be significant, they were not specific regarding this aspect of their schedule.
6. Tanks access will be closed throughout for access from 3rd avenue.
7. Access from south of the bridge will be closed throughout for access from beach park blvd.
8. There are no plans to have fencing on the bay side of the levy path between baywinds park and the bridge. So there will be safe egress options for people blown downwind. The walk back up may be impacted by construction, so be careful and respectful of any instructions workers may provide.
jmarik

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds great. Thank you Mark and whoever was involved.
jpf18

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foster City posted drawings for the project:
https://fostercitylevee.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/foster_city_levee_improvements_project_conformed_plan.pdf
(221MB)
This appears to be the design package for the contractor bids, i.e. not the final construction drawings. I've worked on public capital projects in the past, but I'm not terribly familiar with construction, here's my read, it pretty much echos mark's post:

p.6 As part of the Bay Trail Detour Plan, there is a requirement that "access to and from Baywinds Park, and the upper launch area shall remain open unless actively occupying work sites within this reach". So no blocking off access unless there's active construction.

p.75 (sheet SPG 05) shows Baywinds Park overview.
The paved parking area, upwind rigging and the outhouse will stay in place. Our existing ramp just across/upwind of the rigging area will be replaced with access ramp AP2. There will be a second shorter ramp AP1 a few steps upwind, about where our upwind ramp currently exists. Ramp AP1 appears pretty steep and not intended for ADA suitability (and no handrails)?
The kite beach/rigging area to the right gets a complete rework. It marks an endpoint of the new floodwall. The dirt road that on a busy day is packed with vehicles is replaced with emergency ingress/egress, the new floodwall and access ramp AP3 that leads to the water. It looks like parking in this area is going to be history. There is however a considerable stretch of turf planned between emergency ingress/egress and ramp AP3.
It is unfortunate - chances are that the beach-y vibe of that corner will be replaced with the charm of a military coastline fortification.

p.126 (sheet AP2) shows the new ramp across/just upwind of the rigging area, "Shoreline access ramp at STA 38+91". I find no detail about handrails, a possible hazard trying to get board and riig up and down. The access ramp appears pretty wide and long

p.125 (sheet AP1) shows the secondary ramp at 37+06

p.127 (sheet AP3) shows the new access ramp at 44+83 and (I am not sure) a stairwell in the area of the old western launch/ramp at 49+25. I couldn't find drawings of a boat ramp there, but I may have missed that

p. 82 (sheet SPG 03) shows the upwind kite launch. No improvements, i.e. no new floodwall or ramps
windsrf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My other comment is that Green Slime is also your enemy. Any ramps/stairs extending below high tide line (or about that elevation) will become treacherous. Roughly 1 inch rounded gravel is much better surface.

This is another problem, found at 3rd, Coyote, and Shimada (Marina Bay) that we worked to avoid at Pt. Isabel. However, topography can be a challenge.

These issues were subsequently addressed in an excellent guide for local governments planning Bay Access sites. Produced by Ben Botkin of the SF Bay WaterTrail group.

David
fxop

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Boat Ramp? Reply with quote

Boat Ramp? Could somebody elaborate a little on it? How would you launch a boat? Just hand carried boats like kayaks?

And can we contest the "hand rails" if they are planned?

Thanks,
fxop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: