myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anyone have a 95 liter freestyle wave?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgda

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars,
Ok, sounds good, I will check back a little later this evening.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgda wrote:
Either way works for me. Forum or PM.

Good. Then let’s do it here in case anyone else is interested in the topic, in your JP, or in my Syncro.

It’s not just new, it’s better than new, IMO. Its only departure from new is the performance improvements I make in all my boards. I protect the vulnerable areas with color-matched, textured, ¼” deck padding. If needed, I add heel ramps to keep my aft heel from sliding aft when driving upwind in heavy chop. If the factory heel pads aren’t as cushy as I like, I add a layer of deck padding there, too. This board has the full treatment. I even had to order pad material from the boating industry to match this board’s unique OEM bronze graphics.

I can’t imagine finding a good, solid Syncro — let alone one that shows no sign of use — of any age for < $300. Mine’s easily worth $400 (w/fin and bag) even in Hood River’s extremely competitive used board market. The only reason I’m willing to sell it are the numerous other Syncros in my stable and my need to shrink my overall board selection.

Some comments and reviews include:

Comment from the UK Boards magazine:
The current (2008) Syncros (84 and 94) are now called Style and are ‘freestyle-wave’ boards (or wave-biassed all-rounders) with quite substantial rocker keeping them similar in type to the Syncros of old.

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Review/Mistral-syncro-94-2008?groupID=1766503

https://epikoo.com/windsurfing/boards/mistral-syncro-2008
That review bumped my price to $500 and dropped my interest in selling it at all. I had forgotten how much I liked this board when I bought it a few years ago, and need to get off my 92 and 103 Syncros and try this one again.

Old, schmold Smile . I buy based on performance and condition.

You wrote:

I might be interested in the mistral 94 synchro. I could not tell if you were giving it away or selling? I have seen some for around 100 for sale when looking this board up. I assume it has no water in it or major dings or soft spots? It is a little old but might just do the trick for me.

Yes, send me the review and any other info you have. Any major dents, soft spots or water inside?
jgda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: syncro Reply with quote

Isobars,
Too rich for me given the vintage. Here is a 102 in decent shape for 225.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203448593689?hash=item2f5e7b2d19:g:vFMAAOSw6z1gmm2x

If you want to sell for 250, which seems to be about the going price for this vintage of boards, without the bag, I would take a look and consider it. cheers
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but --

• They won't ship it.
• Even if they did, what's that cost these days ... hundreds?
• Mine's in FAR better condition and almost showroom clean.
• Mine includes two-bolt mast base plate $35 new, $15 at swap meets.
• Includes excellent fin @ $140 new, $75 swap meet.
• Includes padded bag @ $150 new, $50 swap meet.
• Includes Mistral's own permanently mounted (i.e. captive), tool-free, no-longer-available Powerbox fin bolt for one-minute fin changes on the beach.

Not even counting the bag, $400 is cheap by the time one considers those extras. Big Winds recently sold a bare 2006 Syncro in lesser condition for $450.

I'm going to ride it again ASAP (I haven't sailed it in a couple of years due to health). If I still want to sell it, I'll try the classifieds, the swap meets, and the beach. If it's still for sale by September after all that, I'll keep you in mind. I'll also ask Bart at the July 3 swap meet if my price is unrealistic. If and when I choose to sell it, I just want a price fair to both parties. Maybe your $250 is that price.

Thanks for the interest.

I'm surprised you couldn't find a match at Sunday's swap meet. There must have been >300 boards there (but no Syncros).

Mike
jgda

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: syncro Reply with quote

Mike,
I did not make it to the swap meet. I have a limited budget and I am not sure how much I would will use a 95ish board, but having one would be nice. I am still looking around, but have not seen anything that intrigues me as much as your syncro. So, did you drop your price to 400 without the bag? cheers[/list]
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often tell this iW group about the prices at which I buy gear at these swap meets, in the hope of helping motivate sailors to go save 50% to 95% on excellent gear. Responses from sailors and dealers have ranged from "Wow! When's the next swap meet?" to "A decade ago, maybe" (Nope; currently) to "Bullshit" to "You're lying". I can imagine no better place for someone on a tight budget to spend a morning than a Gorge swap meet. I have bought many fantastic boards there for double digits. And even though I'm in the spending phase of my life, I have found only one board this century worthy TO ME of new-board money. I really wanted to -- but didn't -- inform one seller that his price on a fin was about 300% of normal swap meet prices.

I won't bother trying to set an informed price on this board until I ride it again to decide whether to keep or sell it. MUCH depends on the risks my oncologists and I are willing to take to get me back on the water and how successful we are. If we can't do any better than last year, I may as well dump 19 more boards. SURELY I can finally get on the water on a board this size SOMETIME over the 4-day blow coming at us. Selling it is much more dependent on its utility to me than on the price.

If I remain on the fence after sailing it again, your situation might put me over the fence in your favor. We can discuss that via email or telephone when I get to that point. I'd rather work with someone who deserves a good deal than wring every last buck out of a buyer who's simply cheap, and I fully understand closely considering the cost of gear we might not use a lot.

Mike
jgda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Thanks, good luck with your treatment and I hope it goes well so you can get on the water as much as you want. I will keep looking around and if I find something that works I will let you know, but otherwise, keep me in the loop. cheers
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Rode the 94 for the first time in a couple of years. I had forgotten how well it burns and turns. I've ridden 75L boards that won't slash anywhere NEARLY as sharply -- let alone as buttery -- as this thing does at speed. It's easy to buckle my knees from G forces. I'm afraid it just joined my CDH category: They'll have to pry it from my Cold Dead Hands, especially as age and health force me onto ever bigger boards.
bert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I'm winging these days, I still have my Fanatic 95L freestyle wave. I plan on going back to it and windsurfing again once I'm over the wing and foil mania Smile

freewave.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.39 MB
 Viewed:  18025 Time(s)

freewave.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: