myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Crissy ROW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The danger with that is that fewer than half the riders on the river have even heard of that ides, and more than half of those who have heard of it disagree. Better get yourself a kevlar pro bull rider's vest and a serious helmet w/full face guard (I have both, but they're for self-preservation, not aggression). I've seen people yell at other sailors just because the latter actually deviated from a straight line 100 yards away.

gerritt wrote:
Do everything you can to avoid messing up the rider's line. If you see someone swell riding (all 3 wind sports are capable of riding swell), stay out of their way and let them ride that baby down wind/down the line.
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:
airwave wrote:
Let's keep in mind that ROW (Right of Way) means that you must maintain your course. I does not mean that you may go in any other direction. The ROW sailor is burdened with NOT changing course with the caveat that if you are in immediate danger of a collision you may do whatever seems required.
The other sailor must take action to avoid the ROW by choosing to go up or downwind or stopping as necessary.

This seems to be the part that many get confused about: Hold your line on starboard.

That simply means that when you have right of way you are not supposed to vir toward the other vessel. It is exactly the same when driving: having right of way does not give you the right to change direction and start driving toward the other vehicle Twisted Evil

In practical terms on the water it simply means that you hold on your direction. Which is the safest thing to do anyway.
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
The danger with that is that fewer than half the riders on the river have even heard of that ides, and more than half of those who have heard of it disagree. Better get yourself a kevlar pro bull rider's vest and a serious helmet w/full face guard (I have both, but they're for self-preservation, not aggression). I've seen people yell at other sailors just because the latter actually deviated from a straight line 100 yards away.

gerritt wrote:
Do everything you can to avoid messing up the rider's line. If you see someone swell riding (all 3 wind sports are capable of riding swell), stay out of their way and let them ride that baby down wind/down the line.

So, under that scenario, no one on starboard is allowed to run down swell so long as there are riders on port within 100 yards? Come on, Man!
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:
isobars wrote:

gerritt wrote:

So, under that scenario, no one on starboard is allowed to run down swell so long as there are riders on port within 100 yards? Come on, Man!

I think a busy day at the Hatch is much different than wingers ripping down wind on North Tower swell..
airwave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerritt,
No, not at all. If you see a wave that no one else has then by all means take it and ride it out. But if you were mistaken and a collision occurs then man up and except the responsibility for not following the rules.
It's not a windsurf/surfer/winger thing. It the rules established by centuries of nautical laws.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starboard, or wave rider has row, but HAS to hold course...no direction change, and port or guy going against wave HAS to avoid a collision.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following scenario happened to me a number of times at Rufus a couple weeks back. I was kiting on a surfboard catching a nice bit of swell. My style is to find this swell and make as many turns on it as I can. Sometimes this involves riding it across the river before turning back on the same piece of swell. The wing foilers would take direct downwind runs through the swell and cut me off. It didn't matter that I was on port or starboard. I think their thought was that they were on the wave. Meanwhile, I had been on the same wave for quite awhile. Just riding it differently.

At other swell locations, I never had issues with serious kiters running through the "line up". We just let the other kiter finish off the zone.

My position is that I had that wave first AND I was the downwind vessel so ROW was mine. Thoughts?

I want to add that as a windsurfer too, I will yield that wave by slashing back if a windsurfer jumps in. I know it is just harder for the windsurfer to get there than the wing foil.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't that imply that we can't catch a swell or wave (or jump) just because we're on starboard?

dvCali wrote:

That simply means that when you have right of way you are not supposed to vir toward the other vessel. It is exactly the same when driving: having right of way does not give you the right to change direction and start driving toward the other vehicle Twisted Evil

In practical terms on the water it simply means that you hold on your direction.
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Doesn't that imply that we can't catch a swell or wave (or jump) just because we're on starboard?

dvCali wrote:

In practical terms on the water it simply means that you hold on your direction.

Isobar, stop uttering nonsense. It is not rocket science. Even you can understand the starboard rule. And really, if you are on a collision course with another vessel and you go ... jumping you would be even more stupid than your posts make you look like.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said anything about a collision course?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: