myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fin Dilemma
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uchida

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Fin Dilemma Reply with quote

It seems like all the newer free/wave board are set up for multi fin usage. Quad, tri, single, it can be confusing. For Joe Average bump and jump sailor like myself, are multi fins necessary? Do they add to the experience or just add more complications to an already complicated activity. It's a big enough task to decide on sail, board and fin size let alone how many fins to use and where to place them. It's been my limited experience that multi fin boards are slower to plane and slower to turn, in other words "slower". I'm not talking wave sailing just mowin' the lawn with a few tricks thrown in. I'm a simple guy (1 board, 2fins, 3 sails, 2 masts, 1 boom) who is in need of a new board. I'm a summer Kanaha sailor. Maui no ka oi!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned hundreds of boards and fins, and tested hundreds more. The boards have had 1, 2, 3, 4, and/or 5 fins, and my sailing style demands MUCH more from my fins than what you describe. Yet the only time I need extra fins (i.e., more than one) is when I'm dangerously overpowered and trying to get back to shore in one piece to drop my sail size by 25%. "Merely overpowered" by most people's standards is where I WANT to be, and extra fins are unnecessary in that scenario.

I.
M.
O.

That said, I've never found extra fins to slow a slash or jibe, especially in chop. But then I'm WAY up on one rail, so a single fin may breach the surface. in which case a fin or two on one side MIGHT help tracking.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fin Dilemma Reply with quote

They do add complications, and since you are a simple guy I'd say go with 1
(you don't have to put fins in all those slots).

But I have at least 1 multifin board, that went up a sail size by adding side
bites (more fin surface area might get you earlier planning also). And they
might be slower, but it'd be pretty hard to tell in rough conditions for "Joe
average".

-Craig

p.s. not a fan of most quads, but I like 3 fins.
p.p.s. most of my sailing is bump and jump.

uchida wrote:
It seems like all the newer free/wave board are set up for multi fin usage. Quad, tri, single, it can be confusing. For Joe Average bump and jump sailor like myself, are multi fins necessary? Do they add to the experience or just add more complications to an already complicated activity. It's a big enough task to decide on sail, board and fin size let alone how many fins to use and where to place them. It's been my limited experience that multi fin boards are slower to plane and slower to turn, in other words "slower". I'm not talking wave sailing just mowin' the lawn with a few tricks thrown in. I'm a simple guy (1 board, 2fins, 3 sails, 2 masts, 1 boom) who is in need of a new board. I'm a summer Kanaha sailor. Maui no ka oi!
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fin Dilemma Reply with quote

uchida wrote:
For Joe Average bump and jump sailor like myself, are multi fins necessary?

Necessary? No. They offer extra traction and grip in sloppy water (and whitewater) at the expense of speed (and height in jumps). Subtle but definite differences.

Demo a few multifin boards. Borrow from a friend. You may prefer the ride. If I owned a board purely for wave riding I'd definitely go multi fin, but I don't so I don't.

swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think going with a single fin is the best way to go. Even though I've used Open Ocean Tri-Fins since the mid 90s for my higher wind B&J boards, I still used a 8.75"(22.25cm) standard fin size in the middle box.

With multi-fin boards these days, the fin arrangements tend to be smaller in size to offer a more maneuverable style being quite slashy and slidely in nature to perform well in waves. If you want speed and more solid drive, I personally think single fins offer better performance. If you are into tricks, single fins are more than capable, particularly in smaller sizes.

With a single fin, the question is what kind of fin do you like. Higher or lower aspect, and what amount of sweep in the outline. Speaking for myself, I like higher aspect fins with just a bit of sweep at the tip. One of my favorites was a 32cm Tectonics Falcon.

Being on Maui, I would recommend checking out Tectonics' facility on the North Shore to see their latest models. Who knows, maybe they will let you demo a fin or two. They are more pricey, but well worth the money in my view.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much a single fin guy. For me any size or shape fin that does not spin out when pushed up wind is good enough. Back in the day it was difficult to find a fin to do that. Even worse is spin out going into a high speed turn. Can you say face plant into the boom. We had slotted fins and fore fins and some pretty odd shapes. Fins are so much better these days.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the stock fins that come with a board do a great job...
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is here under gear: http://windsurfing.lepicture.com/tips-and-tricks/

Review and post questions if you'd like clarifications.

capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge multifin fan for the waves. For bump and jump go single fin all the way.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you don't do your homework, how can you expect high grades?
Your ignorance is your bliss.....or curse as you will have it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: