myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Coronavirus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 302, 303, 304 ... 339, 340, 341  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Covid is again soaring, worldwide case counts are the highest ever. More than 400,000 new infections in the US reported yesterday. More than 5 million have died world wide, and over 800,000 in the United States.

Grifters and Russian trolls are spreading nonsense about the dangers of vaccine, and paranoid people, mostly from the right, are buying it. The logic so far is:

vaccination doesn't completely protect you from infection, therefore it is worthless.

not as many children die from Covid as from other diseases, therefore we shouldn't worry about vaccinating them.

Because of better scientific understanding about how to treat Covid, and because of mutations that have made the virus more infectious but less deadly, the death count is down. But the virus has killed more than 800 children, whose parents will not be comforted by Techno's nostrums that more kids die from other diseases and auto accidents. The idea that any medical treatment that is not perfect is useless, and we should just not worry about kids getting infected are so sick and bizarre that it just boggles the mind. Beyond stupid, beyond paranoid.

And mrgybe? Who compared this to the flu, defended Trump's response, and scoffed at the possibility that it could kill a million Americans? Seldom in doubt, rarely right.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
Mrgybe. You are wrong. It IS a right vs left issue.

Your post related exclusively to the impact of Covid on, and the vaccination of, young children. That is not a left vs right issue no matter how hard you continue to push that divisive narrative.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice how the goal posts moved? From children aren’t at risk from Covid, but are at risk from vaccines, to closing schools?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://aspe.hhs.gov/reports/hesitancy-vaccinate-children

Wrong again Mrgybe. Compare red states vs blue states here. Similar trends.

I am not the one who politicized vaccines. The GOP did. Not recognizing the damage that those from the rabid right have caused on the vaccine front is burying one's head in the sand.

The folks in the "red" county where my wife works had one of the highest hospitalization rates for COVID in the State. The trend is widespread throughout the region. That trend, in that County, continues with the vaccination rate of children. Shows on that map too.

At a rally where Trump claimed he received a booster, he was booed. That's not political? Really? Since you seem to know so much about this, why don't you explain the correlation between counties that voted for Trump vs Biden with the vaccination rate. What is your explanation?

I would like to point out that Techno provided old data from a right wing source that included a narrative about how poorly the Biden Administration has done with the CV pandemic. Techno, Isobars, Mlorande all spin and there is silence from you. When I respond to this spin and call it out, I am the divisive one?
mac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno’s “credible” source.

Quote:
Media Research Center Inc. (MRC) is a right-wing media "watchdog" group run by president and founder Brent Bozell. It is predominately funded by larger right-wing foundations (see below) with other comparatively minor sources of income from rental income and investments. In its 2006 annual report, the group's founder wrote that MRC "continued to regularly provide intellectual ammunition to conservative activists, arming them with the weapons to fight the leftist press."[1] Its 2011 annual report prominently features a picture of a bus full of members of "MRC's Action Team," who "descended on Madison, Wisconsin in April 2011 to show their support for Governor Scott Walker."[2] (For context, see the SourceWatch article on the Wisconsin Protests.)
The MRC operates a number of subsidiary projects including the Business & Media Institute (formerly known as the the Free Market Project); CNSNews.com, a conservative news service; the NewsBusters blog; TimesWatch, a website focusing on the New York Times; the Culture and Media Institute and the MRC Action Team.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though he believed that evil spirits were spreading the plague, Martin Luther had a better sense of his responsibilities to his community than modern “conservatives”.

Quote:
God has created medicines and provided us with intelligence to guard and take good care of the body so that we can live in good health. If one makes no use of intelligence or medicine when he could do so without detriment to his neighbor, such a person injures his body and must beware lest he become a suicide in God’s eyes. . . .
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a pity that this thread has now turned political, but if so, I think our country (U.K.) must be an exception to the rule.

Our Conservative (right wing if people insist) Government first instigated a leading vaccination drive against the original virus attacks, and now a booster drive (over a million every day taking it up) against the latest (Omicron) virus, INCLUDING advising parents to accept the vaccination (Pfizer jab) of their children to keep us all protected.

The opposition to vaccination in our society is form a number of sources which, sadly but factually, include culturally different religious ethnic groupings who put their faith in their god, (openly state so when asked why they reject and refuse vaccination), and, some prominent and leading high profile 'hard left people such as the brother of our last leader of the left wing opposition party who was rejected at the last general election. He holds well attended rallies inciting supporters to target vaccination centres (as with Trump's attempt to take control) which has led to demands that he be investigated by the police for inciting violence.

I'm not suggesting that it is mainly a political issue over here, just that the politically motivated can spin the situation into just that, when the fact is that the sensible majority accept the vaccination advice )from the current Conservative Government) and just get on with it!
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac previously said:
Quote:
More than 814,000 have died of Covid in the US. More than 800 of them were under 18, most of them very young. Children are both at risk of serious illness, and vectors for the spread of the virus. Anyone who doubts that is either a Russian troll—or a sucker for trolls and grifters.

The reason I responded was because he painted a picture that I felt needed some balance. Regardless of my source of information the big picture is that indeed 800 children have died of covid. A horrible thing, but my post was just to offer a broader spectrum of how children under the age 17 die. Covid's impact on children is very, very small compared to adults.

No politics intended, just more information for a complete understanding of how covid is impacting our youth and society.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
I am not the one who politicized vaccines.

From the very same post............

coboardhead wrote:
The folks in the "red" county where my wife works had one of the highest hospitalization rates for COVID in the State.......At a rally where Trump claimed he received a booster, he was booed. That's not political? Really?..........I would like to point out that Techno provided old data from a right wing source that included a narrative about how poorly the Biden Administration has done with the CV pandemic.

Red counties, Trump, right wing sources.......it's non stop. Try to appreciate the distinction between correlation and causation; Trump being booed for supporting vaccination might provide you with some insight. However, to return to my original point...........there is no question in my mind that most of those resisting vaccination for their children are not following some (increasingly fuzzy) political agenda. The bond between parents and their children is stronger than any you can imagine; most parents would give their lives for their children. To suggest that millions of parents are prepared to expose their children to serious, possibly life threatening illness, in obeisance to a political movement demonstrates that you don't understand that bond.
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead said:
Quote:
I would like to point out that Techno provided old data from a right wing source that included a narrative about how poorly the Biden Administration has done with the CV pandemic.

Where the stats wrong? My only point in posting was the covid death rate for children compared to overall covid deaths and the other things that children may die from.

You guys take great pride in making everything political when much of it is not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 302, 303, 304 ... 339, 340, 341  Next
Page 303 of 341

Jump to: