myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where have all the large sails gone?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Where have all the large sails gone? Reply with quote

Just a casual observation that I no longer see 7.5+ size sails for sale much anymore. I would have thought with foiling the large sail market would be saturated, but it is not. Is it the high shipping cost? Are people hanging on to their larger sails? Are people now using their larger sails to foil?

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Materials shortage.
rtz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the impression the 10, 11, 12 sails were being made for the Formula racing a few years back.

Sailworks has some big foil sails coming out soon:

https://us18.campaign-archive.com/?u=a17681a94a910c4d77bac6895&id=862c8ccff8
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

locally we have some used larger Ezzy sails 4 sale
i tried to sell my MauiSails TR-4 10m² sail and got NO nibbles

with Ezzy Lion and windsurf foiling I see cambers coming back
so, I am keeping the sail ...

and where are all the other larger sails ??
my most used sails are 8.x meters
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand material shortages, supply chain issues and that some sail lofts are only making the larger sails for pre-orders. I was thinking more on the lines of used sails since my local sailing club has been looking for 7.5 used sails with little success. Not much inventory in the usual places such as eBay, Craigslist, Iwindsurf or Consignment.

Coachg
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is your club?
I might know a few guys basically giving away their 7-8 meter old sails...97-'06.
Some are almost new, but heavy race styles.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://lwsailing.org/

That is the other issue I didn't address; race sails. Full blown race sails are mast specific & too heavy for the intermediates who would be using them. Add the fact that race sails are heavy & designed to be sailed over, not under powered & it makes for a very bad choice for intermediates to learn on. The club does have a newer Severne Overdrive 7.5 but none of the 460 masts work with the sail so the sail sits un-rigged in the shed.

Coachg
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who previously used large freeride sails are now foiling with wave sails or winging. Also I'm pretty sure that market, not being a prestige segment, gets served last by the available materials.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to think that this is a call for getting something for practically nothing. What price range are we talking about? A quarter of discounted retail, if even that?

I have a 2006-2007 Windwing 8.3 Hammer that I lightly used for a couple years, to include a matching 100% carbon Gulftech 490 RDM. Both are in very good to excellent condition.

What do you think they're worth? I'm thinking probably very little, especially if one was to consider adding the cost to ship such large items.

It's no small wonder why windsurfing shops hardly exist anymore.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a call for gear swchandler, just an observation. Just before COVID hit we spent 2 grand on masts & uphauls including a couple of 90%, 460 Ezzy masts. I picked up the 460’s in anticipation of needing a couple of 7-7.5 rigs for improving intermediates to use in the prevailing 12-14 mph winds we get. I get Naish Sprint’s at wholesale but can’t justify $600 for a sail that is going to take a beating from intermediates. Far better to spend $2-3 hundred on a used sail that will last just as long. But since COVID & foiling larger freeride, sails have dried up. I figured shipping was probably the main culprit as you have somewhat verified. I’m sure there are parts of the U.S. where larger freeride sails are a dime a dozen, out here near the windy delta, not so much.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: