myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Wisdom
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:13 am    Post subject: Windsurfing Wisdom Reply with quote

Thought it might be fun to throw out a topic on Windsurfing Wisdom during these winter doldrums. Not too much excitement lately except some high surf this past week and a tsunami today. So, it goes like this, what is a saying or phrase you have heard or coined related to windsurfing wisdom. This is along the lines of the well-known Pennsylvania Dutch saying of, "Too soon oldt, too late smart". I will start it out with the first three:

1. Never leave wind to chase wind.

2. A sparkle does not a white cap make. (I coined this one. I need 9 knots to have fun SailSUPping and white caps usually start at 10 knots. So sometimes I get overly excited when I see what I think are white caps when, in fact, they are just sun reflection sparkles. This saying brings me back to reality.)

3. No matter how long one stares at the iWindsurf Wind Map screen, it won't raise the wind speeds or optimize the wind direction.

Anyone have something to toss in out there? If so, please do.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never sail out further than you can safely swim in.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I resist. Here are some that have become pretty popular, 1st
coined by Tribe Surfrat.

"Nuke and Puke"

" Advice from the Beach"

And the repurposed, once popular, but now faded into obscurity,
"Chop Chop!"

-Craig
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi cgoudie,

How about a little more background on your contributions? I do not think I have heard the "Chop Chop" in relation to windsurfing.

W1
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsurfing Wisdom Reply with quote

Re 1: My license plate and screen nym for many years was NLWTFWNM ... Never Leave Wind To Find Wind New Mexico. It's a pretty good mantra, but sometimes quality trumps it, as with the mass migration from the Corridor (Hatchery/Swell City) to Doug's Beach almost every windy summer day in the Gorge. The corridor stays windy, but its quality goes ALL to hell, while Doug's quality and quantity increase.

Caveat: That's probably changed with the last 20 years' dramatic change in Gorge wind patterns.

Re 2: Literally HUNDREDS of times I've seen people rigging 3.X sails, often even launching with them, when there's not enough wind for a 6.2. They're being fooled by the early morning sparkle.

Re 3: Probably true, but there IS, at least in my experience, a fairly strong positive correlation between swearing loudly at lulls and the resumption of the wind.

Next: Rigging too big does not cause the wind to pick up, but it DOES get yer butt on the water sooner for more planing TOW.

And its flip side: Rigging too small may get yer butt on the water, but at the expense of nuthin' but slog and wasted energy.

Bottom line: Rig for NOW, not for the forecast.

The overriding classic: Take All Your Toys.
Reasoning: it's just a forecast, dude, not a guarantee.

Don't tell people what to rig. The optimal sail and board can and will vary IMMENSELY among individuals according to at least a dozen factors.

If the cook says "Breakfast is served", stop typing and go eat.

windward1 wrote:

1. Never leave wind to chase wind.

2. A sparkle does not a white cap make.

3. No matter how long one stares at the iWindsurf Wind Map screen, it won't raise the wind speeds or optimize the wind direction.
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars wrote: "Don't tell people what to rig."

Ha ha. And when people ask you what you are rigging, instead of giving the sail size, at one place I sail, the folk say one of the following: "Small" "Medium" or "Large". At first I thought, 'That is different'. Further thought and I understood it made all the sense in the world. Even though a lot of the people sailing there know each other and their respective approximate weights and sailing skills and could adjust their own selection from the sail size, it is much simpler to choose your own small, medium or large sail based on what you know them to be and it keeps one from asking personal questions like, "How much do you weigh?"

W1
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its not 5.0 don't go.
Of course I think rig what ever you need to get on the water. Even if you never get on a plane.. Its all fun
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One you here locals say at my local lake is "Wait 5 minutes the wind will change"
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer to "What should I rig?" is, "I'M rigging a (whatever)." If their eyes get big, I may elaborate with something like "It's only blowing 21", "But I like lots of power", or "I hate slogging."

Maybe the windsurfing wisdom "rule" should be, "How the hell should I know what someone else should rig?"

windward1 wrote:
And when people ask you what you are rigging, instead of giving the sail size, at one place I sail, the folk say one of the following: "Small" "Medium" or "Large".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: