myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Talk story Kanaha

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailwave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:18 pm    Post subject: Talk story Kanaha Reply with quote

I'm windsurfing along well inside the reef at uppers, 25-35 mph day. I hear a call for help up wind but can't see anyone, I tack and actually make it, sail upwind, botch next tack, sail up wind more and there is a camo clad snorkel diver yelling for help and now yelling shark. The swimmer who was on his way out to help turns around and heads back to beach(smartly). I pull up next to the diver ( about 100 yards off beach of beginner windsurf cove), drop sail, and ask if he is bleeding, he says no, I ask if he was bit, he says yes, he looks very scared and nervous. I tell him to stay close to the board, hold footstrap and we make way to the beach with me in water under sail scissor kicking and feathering sail for a bit of power (wind very up down messy in there). We make it to about 1/2 way to beach and a gracious paddle board foiler comes to help. I grab his leash and we make faster headway with paddler sitting on his board. We get to beach and I stand up in about 2 feet of water and there is the shark ( i guess 6 feet and not tiger from what I can tell), struggling/churning to get at something at the tail of my board near diver. There are a few people on the beach now there and we all yell shit get out the water! The diver is kinda struggling to get out of the water and we realize why......he is dragging a 4-5 foot spear gun with a stringer of about 6 1ft long fat fish tied off to the end of the spear gun! We so called rescuers wail OMG WTF, you said nothing about the fish! Lifeguards show up on jet ski now and want to know if anyone is hurt, luckily NO, and head off to find his dive partner upwind who turns out was on the beach at this point.

So, the diver says thanks, gives paddler and I a fist bump and marches off with his about 25 lb of fish all intact and no fish for us. Well, in retrospect, I can't help but to feel used to help him save his fish. If he had just fed the shark the fish, none of this would have happened I suspect. Any thoughts from locals? I would love to be wrong about feeling used.

Last edited by sailwave on Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
windsrf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just used - Seriously Endangered!
SAS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also sounds like he did not have a dive flag/float on the surface. When the surface is choppy it's hard to see the divers even when they have a flag. Diving without a flag is not only illegal, it's stupid.
sailwave

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a dive flag in the area earlier, I assume it was theirs and his dive buddie took it in. Why they separated....now that is the stupid part...I can postulate....
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on you..
Should have noticed he was holding the Speargun or towing something. As a would be rescuer...and thank you for your service...it's up to you to assess the situation.
I've towed over 15 guys in at Crissy. It's always up to me to tell them to pack things up MY way.
My 125 lbs then g/f towed a 215 lbs guy back across the mouth of Flying Tigers. She forced him to constantly kick his feet, and use one hand as a rudder...and paddle when the wind dropped a bit.
As the rescuer, YOU take charge which means situational awareness.
And thank you for your service.
windfind

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

Here is my take as someone who, long ago, gill netted and spear fished from Ke'Anae Peninsula to Thousand Peaks with my "adopted" Hawaiian family.

When you are spearfishing in Hawaii, you mostly get smaller fish. (Very different than Baja where we shot one fish, swam to shore and fed the entire research camp, again long ago)

So, in Hawaii, it is common to carry fish on a stringer tied to your waist. Dead fish sink and once on a stringer through their mouth and gills they are pretty streamlined and easy to tow.

But it is impossible to put a thrashing fish on a stringer with one hand while holding a speargun with the other. So you also tie the speargun to your waist. That way you can drop the spear gun while stringing a fish.

This works great unless you have a hungry shark snacking on your fish and potentially you. The last thing you want to do is take your eye off the shark while you look at your belly button and untie this entire mess.

If you are smart, you would have a weight belt or line around your waist and the line to the gun and fish attached to the belt with a shackle. That way you could dump the fish fast with one hand and retreat.

This guy was not smart, nor was I.

So, my guess is that the last thing the diver was thinking about was telling his savior about all the line and the fish.

Or maybe he had incredible situational awareness and realized that maybe it was better NOT to mention the fish since his rescuer might not jump into the water to effect the rescue.

Incidentally, "situational awareness" is easy when you are just towing a sailor with a broken mast. Add a thrashing shark to the equation, and unless you have had a lot of shark experience, you get tunnel vision and just want to get the hell out of there.

Either way... great job sailwave

And, dlee, I remember some of your many rescues. Thank you!

Mike Godsey
Weatherflow.com

Xnip2023-09-23_08-15-32.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.08 MB
 Viewed:  8065 Time(s)

Xnip2023-09-23_08-15-32.jpg

sailwave

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice perspective Mike. Thank you. With the strong wind the water visibility was poor and you could not see the bottom nor any chance of seeing the spear gun and fish trolling along below. In hindsite, I do realize he appeared weighted down and kind struggling to keep his head above water, more than a weight belt, that was a missed strong clue that some mass was down there. Lessons..........
jse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Talk story Kanaha Reply with quote

sailwave wrote:
I'm windsurfing along well inside the reef at uppers, 25-35 mph day. (snip)...

Not that this is anywhere related to your experience, but you said "Talk Story". I was sailing on the reef between uppers and lowers a few years back. It was as I recall, the day after a tourist was attacked and killed by a shark at Honolua Bay, so I was uber-aware of shark related things. I was not missing any gybes, and trying to enjoy myself when I saw a yellow helmet. On closer inspection it was a sailor, older fellow clinging to his sail, no board. I asked him where it was and he pointed downwind and told me it was yellow. So I sailed downwind until I found it, made a makeshift catamaran between the sail and our two boards and proceeded to swim upwind to him. He swam downwind at the same time and we met up about 10 minutes later. We then spent the next 10 minutes attempting to reconnect his board to his mast. He had a Chinook base and those things are near impossible to connect in the water when it's choppy. Finally we both waterstarted and sailed to shore. At no time during that ordeal did I think about sharks. When you are in a rescue situation that's what happens. You focus only on getting the job done. Nothing else matters.

Side note: Shortly thereafter he told me he was diagnosed with Alzheimers, maybe that contributed to the equipment failure, just a guess.

Side Side note: My friend Tony is visiting here and is staying at the rich peoples houses on Stable Road. He told me what brand and color equipment he is using so I could spot him on the water, and that he was wearing a yellow helmet. Next day I was foiling looking for his yellow helmet and it seemed everyone wears a yellow helmet. Never met up with him.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: