myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sailing Bermuda in June?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fmalnati

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Sailing Bermuda in June? Reply with quote

Am going to Bermuda 6/11-15. Hope to get a couple afternoons in. ANyone sail there before? What kind of wind should I expect? (seems like no one reports wind conditions from there!)
Where did you rent gear? What did they have? Launch sites? Other advice? Fran
saltweb

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Sailing Bermuda in June? Reply with quote

No wind in Bermuda. Thats the deal. I went to Bermuda in June a few years ago, thinking maybe there would be a little breeze. There was none. Not only that, but theres nowhere to rent windsurfing gear that is less than about 10 years old. I dont mean to be negative, but it would be better to think about hanging on the beach, snorkeling, riding mopeds, doing anything but windsurfing down there. The Bermuda High sets up and holds off all frontal winds. I did see someone out sailing for a short time at one point. It got me psyched, but it was a short-lived wind and he must have been a local with his own gear.

Sorry,

Peter.
cpainter1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Sailing Bermuda in June? Reply with quote

I go to Bermuda about once a month and windsurf quite often, using my own gear. Actually, there is a fair amount of sailable wind in Bermuda, but summer is not the best time of year. Wind is all frontal derived and, in fact, the last couple of months have been good.(Including last week.)The only place to rent is Blue Hole Water Sports at Groto Bay Hotel, tele 293-2915. Ask for either Michael(the boss) or Chris, who operate the watersports operation and are avid windsurfers. Peter is right, the equipment is not much, but it does work and if the wind is right, the location/sailing is fantastic! Best with winds from NW-E-S...telephone 9772 on the island for an excellent marine/wind forecast. Better yet, call Michael or Chris and just ask them what the outlook for the day is. (Tell them Carl referred you.)If its not a good windsurfing day, this is a good place to rent a kayak, small sailboat, etc. Good luck!
saltweb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Sailing Bermuda in June? Reply with quote

Good call!

I was just frustrated that I was in such a beautifull place to sail, and I couldnt due to a complete lack of wind.

I did get out sailing in a huge old yacht, and that was fun.

Cheers,

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: