myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
June through August Maui wave size

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zembo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: June through August Maui wave size Reply with quote

I am trying to find where in these months i should be wave sailing. Called Vela and nobody there could tell me the wave size in the North shore and wind direction respect to the shore. Also i need the same info for Oahu. Any suggestions or anyone knows the answer?
mariano bay area
melpel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: RE: June through August Maui wave size Reply with quote

Cant tell you much ont he waves, but I do watch the Maui winds through the winter... lots of light days. There are a couple articles on my site with contact info for some of the rental palces on maui; might try those for starting info. www.sunsetmaui.com
carl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: RE: June through August Maui wave size Reply with quote

Mariano,
LeeD has good info. In general, the storms in the north pacific are bigger in spring than in fall so your odds are better in june of finding waves on the north shore than in august. In august, the tropical storms are more active so the south swell is more likely (but still rare as LeeD said). Kihei is fairly protected except for occasional SW swell. If you can go in april/may north shore would be better. June-aug is usually pretty benign for waves.
reallybigair

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: RE: June through August Maui wave size Reply with quote

LeeD is not exactly correct, DHEAD faces south and you will rarely ever find Kona winds in Summer. The big difference between DHead and most all other wavesailing is that it is port tack jumping.
Trades are strongest in the summer all over Hawaii, a small summer day in maui is most likely be challenging enough for all but the most demanding freeriders.
Maui is usally a sail size smaller than oahu, if a 5.3 on Oahu it will be at least a 4.7 on maui.
If you want to party and have decent tourist stuff mixed in with windsurfing, oahu is better, even though Maui doesnt see huge waves on the North Shore summertime, if you want to windsurf that is the place to go.
Dhead tends to get crowded in the summer and if you dont know what you are doing you will most likely only be ridig the shoulder.
flykatcher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: RE: June through August Maui wave size Reply with quote

The surf is small on the north shore of Maui during those months, but the wind is blowing every day and there are other spots to sail like upper Kanaha, and if there is a swell you can get Hookipa super uncrowded.
carl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: RE: June through August Maui wave size Reply with quote

Well, blowing every day in the summer may be not quite right. The wind does blow alot in the summer, the stats say 90-95%. The trades can shutdown even in summer for a day or 3 if a tropical storm gets too close or a (usually dry) front dips too far south.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: