myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
make jibes
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsmike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: make jibes Reply with quote

I was sailing today and realized that 9 times out of 10 when I miss a jibe it is because after I flip the sail, the clew spins around, but then doesnt come far enough around for me to grab it with my new back hand. Its like the wind is blowing perpendicular to my board so that with just the front hand holding the sail, its natural position would be to end up perpendicular to the board as well. This is all fine and good but leaves me with nothing to grab onto and I fall in. Any help on this?
Windlover

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: RE: make jibes Reply with quote

Sounds like you may be flipping the sail just a bit early. When you flip too soon, your board is not far enough around for you to easily grab the boom with your back hand. You also need to keep the mast close to your head. You can do this by reaching under your front hand to grab the boom with your new front hand. This keeps the mast close to you. As soon as you let go with the old hand, pull the new hand across your body, thus bringing the mast over the windward rail and the back hand can easily grab the boom.

Timing the sail flip is very important for completing jibes.
harris52

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: RE: make jibes Reply with quote

This is a very common problem, which if you think about it for a second - should be very clear. The sail is luffing, and no matter what technique you try, it will continue to do so once you let go of the clew. The throw will not help a mistimed flip. The first response is essentially right, youre doing it too soon. But, if you keep carving around instead of trying to grab the sail when its out of reach - the sail will come right back to you, because it will no longer be luffing over your nose.

gh
WindSapien

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: RE: make jibes Reply with quote

Very simple Bro, Head into your turn with maximum velocity,bend your knees, look ahead of your turn,flip sail just before apex of turn , Grab Mast with old back hand,continue to hold steady and sail will come around to you. All you have to do is repeat this process five hundred times.
prev1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: RE: make jibes Reply with quote

Are you doing planing or non-planing jibes? That is, are you sail steering or steering with your feet? If sailing with your feet, you must not be completing the carve of the board. If you were, the sail would be easy to reach. People often forget to keep steering after flipping the sail (so busy thinking about the sail, etc). Thus, the board is not completing the turn and you cant reach the sail. When you jibe, you initiate the carve with by sliding your back foot to the leward side of the board. Then, in a step jibe, you rotate that same foot so that the heel continues to keep the board turning (after fliping the sail). If you dont drive the board with your heel (by bending your knees, the board will not come through the wind based on its own momentum. Try to focus on that next time your out, if the board completes the carve, the sail will be reachable. Of course, if you find yourself in the position of not being able to reach the boom with your back hand (you have not completed the turn sucessfully), simply move the boom back and tip it slightly to leward and the board will complete the turn and you wont fall in the water, maybe.

I suggest the Alan Caciz tape, since he shows examples of how to correct not so perfect jibes.
tm00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: RE: make jibes Reply with quote

Only 500 for a quick learner. 1,000+ for the rest of us
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: RE: make jibes Reply with quote

The average athlete takes 10,000 repetions to MASTER a skill. 500? You are GOOOOOD!

CoachG
goltz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: RE: make jibes Reply with quote

10,000 repetitions? If that were true, Id have a perfect golf swing after one round...
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: RE: make jibes Reply with quote

Watch for a message to you containing my jibe tips. If they dont show up, give me your e-mail address and Ill send them directly. They address your question and a few dozen others. The bottom line is that YOU, not the wind, should spin the sail.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: RE: make jibes Reply with quote

Thats particularly funny when you consider that my jipe tips open with Im a world-class expert at jibes. Missing them, that is. When I was trying
to learn to jibe, none of our regular local sailors could jibe, and
extensive travel failed to find good lessons, videos, or magazine tutorials.
Thus I failed what seemed like 10,392 carving jibe attempts . . .

I was closer than I thought . . . and laughed at by the people who claim jibing is a first-season objective these days.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: