myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
keeping sail rigged
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slycee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: keeping sail rigged Reply with quote

Does keeping a sail fully rigged for a few days do any damage to the sail? (stretching, etc) Should the outhaul and downhaul be loosened at all?
Thanks.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: RE: keeping sail rigged Reply with quote

For me, the joys of being able to rig up, then just sleep, eat, and sail for a few days til the wind moves on -- a rare treat near the Gorge -- and grabbing a different sail and being dialed in on a plane again in a minute or two when the wind changes is priceless. If (thats an IF;
I dont perceive any loss in performance, and Ive kept sails as long as 8 years . . . 2-4 years normally) it costs my sails a few minutes lifespan, so be it. I DO keep them in the shade, though.

Mike \m/
tshred

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: RE: keeping sail rigged Reply with quote

I used to have a big van where I would keep my sails rigged the whole season. I would never loosen the downhaul or outhaul. They always lasted me at least 3 or 4 years. I did this for 20 years. Now my sails last me two years since I am sailing out of a car.

The big deal is the sun.
ray123

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: RE: keeping sail rigged Reply with quote

Hey,
I live and sail on the east coast and leave my sails rigged all year. Im a 2 minute walk from the water so it makes sense. I do loosen both the downhaul and the outhaul. Ive been told this makes a difference. They seem to last longer if I leave them rigged...the constant rolling and crinkling seems to do alot of damage. The main thing though is to keep them out of the sun while they are not being used.
I built a sail storage area by the side of my house that protects the sails from the sun.
Happy Sailing.
Ray
dcharlton

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: RE: keeping sail rigged Reply with quote

No info at all on this topic, just wanted to say how miserable I am that people are soooooooo lucky as to be SOOOOO near the launch site they NEVER have to pack up!

Also, all the reading Ive done in windsurf mag tells me that the Sun is the most damaging factor.

You guys got any rooms to rent 2 minutes from the water?
wsmike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: RE: keeping sail rigged Reply with quote

All the rental places Ive ever seen just keep their sails all rigged, hanging in some kind of shed or the like.
nickjcuba

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: RE: keeping sail rigged Reply with quote

I run the windsurfing program at a summer camp. We keep about 20 sails rigged throughout the summer, and it doesnt seem to do much to them. The high performance sails are kept in the shade, while most of our teaching sails are somewhat exposed--I dont suppose the sun is too bad for Dacron.
mark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: RE: keeping sail rigged Reply with quote

I also am fortunate to be able to leave my rais rigged all summer. Over the years I have not seen any damage to the sails. However I have noticed that carbon masts especially near the splice take on a permanent bend if left with the full outhaul and downhaul. Easing both when not using the sails seems to have minimized the problem.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: RE: keeping sail rigged Reply with quote

Since you are fortunate enough to leave you sails rigged, why not use a one piece mast?
mark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: RE: keeping sail rigged Reply with quote

I dont think anyone makes one piece masts any more. The one piece carbon masts I have had in the past still take on a permanent bend if you leave the sails fully tensioned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: