myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
rip in the monofilm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adrianax15

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: rip in the monofilm Reply with quote

I need help. I have a tear (rip) in my sail (monofilm). It is about 8 long. Is it OK to fix it with a 2 wide clear packing tape or do I need some special stuff for it?
Thanks
Windlover

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: RE: rip in the monofilm Reply with quote

Clear packing tape will hold for a while. If that is all you have, be sure to do both sides. Best fix is to have a sailmaker/repairer put a new panel in.

For something better than packing tape, go to your local ski shop and ask for Ski Saver. It comes in clear and other colors. It is a thick plastic that is designed to go over the top of skis to protect them from scratches. It is designed to stay put in cold, wet conditions. It worked well for me on a small monofilm tear on an old sail.
ray123

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: RE: rip in the monofilm Reply with quote

Hey,
Most windsurfing shops sell a special tape. Im not sure what its called(monofilm tape?) But I use it all the time and its a very cheap way to get another year or two out of a sail. I put a hole in a neil pryde 5.4 the second time I used it. That was 4 years ago. I was blasting around on it today in 30 mph winds. It must have 8 holes in it. I just keep taping them up and will continue to do so until I cant anymore. The alternative is to get it repaired, but that will be more expensive.
Have Fun
carl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: RE: rip in the monofilm Reply with quote

The windsurf shops have clear sail repair tape that works well. Just clean the area as instructed.
amarie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: RE: rip in the monofilm Reply with quote

Another alternative is RV awning repair tape. Its clear, strong, wide, really sticky and waterproof. It costs about $8 for 15 feet, but Ive found it well worthwhile. If you have a local RV shop check it out.
tycoonguy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: RE: rip in the monofilm Reply with quote

The name of that Neilpryde product is the K-film repair kit, but I dont know if they are still selling it. I have inquired about it, though. Ill report back if they affirm that they are.
melpel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: RE: rip in the monofilm Reply with quote

Ive ripped many sails- can say from experience either packing tape or sail tape work. If cleaned really well and applied to both sides packing tape will generally hold for an extended period. The sail tape from the windsurf shops is definiitely better though as it is stronger and more water resistant.

The only time this does not work is near the edges of the film; the tape does not stick to the other materials very well and I have never had a very good fix in these areas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: