myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kalmus Man Of War

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scooper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Kalmus Man Of War Reply with quote

I had a Great day at Kalmus today, sailing 4.2 and 5.2 on a new 85 liter wave board. An aquaintance that I was sailing with said he saw 3 man of war jellyfish. I know that there have been a lot of sightings of them at Nantucket recently. I guess the 2 days of strong southwest must have blown them in. I was just glad I had a wetsuit on.
OliverTwist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: RE: Kalmus Man Of War Reply with quote

The wetsuit helps, but years ago surfing Long Beach, NY I had a Lions Mane jellyfish go down my shorty. Ouch.
Weedfin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: RE: Kalmus Man Of War Reply with quote

Monday 7-24-06 I was on the water from 10:00 AM to 2:30 PM and did not see any Man Of Wars. I did see about three jelly fish but they were not Man Of Wars.

I was in Hyannis Harbor, Lewis Bay, Kalmus, Hyannisport, miles out in Nantucket Sound numerous times Monday and did not see any Man Of Wars.

Your friend may have seen just regular jellyfish. Believe me, if I saw one I would have reported it to the Harbormaster.
cosmicharlie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: RE: Kalmus Man Of War Reply with quote

Yesterday, I saw a regular jelly fish while reaching the bay. I got a good look at it and can see how they could be confused with the descriptions of Man-os. I didnt report it to the Harbormaster, though.
trburl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: RE: Kalmus Man Of War Reply with quote

Jelly Fish are painful for sure. Can anyone shed any light on the supposed Great Whites feeding on the seal populations on Monomoy? I sail in Harwich/Dennis area and the distance from Wychmere Habor to Monomoy is short. A big fish could close the gap in about 30 minutes of mellow swimming.....
Weedfin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Kalmus Man Of War Reply with quote

Go to this to get a birds eye, I mean sharks eye view what ir is like to swim in Cape Cod waters. Better have your jibes down before you view this. Scroll down to the photos:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/marinefisheriesnotices/white_shark.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: