myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui in March

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
never_enough_wind

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Maui in March Reply with quote

I am planning to go to Maui in mid-March. For you fortunate long time Maui sailors, generally how strong and how consistent are the winds at that time of year? I will be there for 8 days, am I likely to get completely skunked? (Ill bring lots of quarters for the wind machine)

Thanks
carl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: RE: Maui in March Reply with quote

March is still winter and the pacific is still
quite active with fronts that can disrupt the trades and bring some rain (but its still 80 deg). Generally its better than Jan or Feb and the trades are on the increase. I would say on average 50% chance of good sailing in March. Waves can be good then. Whales are very active off Kihei, snorkling is always good, so there are other activities and the weather is usually good.
beallmd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: RE: Maui in March Reply with quote

if you go to Velawindsurf there is a wind chart for Maui and the other spots. There you will see that, as Carl said, about 50% chance of sailing in march.
MikeLaRonde

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: RE: Maui in March Reply with quote

I stayed the month of March in 2002. awesome! Id look towards the end of March for better wind.

early March, winds iffy, took 6 days before the first good blow. water surprisingly chilly, especially Kehei side. consistant 8-12 swell every day, awesome waves everywhere!

late March, blowing pretty much every day(usually 5.3s, some people consider that light wind), water noticeably warmer, nights warmer, surf smaller and fading.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: RE: Maui in March Reply with quote

Google wind charts and statistics covering many seasons, as beallmd suggests. Then try to Google any special variations expected next spring which may bias the upcoming season. No single-year report will provide much useful data.

Or, since youre going anyway, dont worry about the statistics, because they dont matter. What will matter is what happens the 8 days youre there, this March, in 2007. Keep each afternoon unscheduled, keep an eye on the wind, and be flexible. Even when its blowing hard 100 days in a row in a good summer, theres plenty of time to sail every day and still do all the tourist stuff, cause the wind blows mostly from lunch til Early Bird Special time anyway, leaving mornings and evenings for everything else. You can drive around the east/Hana side, take the catamaran ride to snorkel at Molikini, take the bike ride down Haleaka, eat at Maile Haile, play in the WIERD shorebreak at McKenna Beach, snorkel the NW side, stalk the shops in Kaanapali, harass the sharks from a cage, troll for marlin . . . all the usual gigs . . . and not miss a minute of good wind even if it blows every day.

Mike \m/
davestein

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: RE: Maui in March Reply with quote

HI....I live in Paia, Maui.
I think you will be ok....
there will be wind then.
by the way if you dont
have a place to stay yet.
I have a place in Paia
called Mangolani.
go to www.vrbo.com/67861
to check it out.

Aloha,

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: