myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kid's rigs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lsb

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Kid's rigs? Reply with quote

My son is about to turn nine, and (hallelujah!) he wants to learn to sail. Does anybody know where I can get a good setup for 4'5" and 59 lbs? I've been looking at new kid's gear, and guess what? it costs as much as grownup gear! Why am I surprised?

Anyway, his birthday's in two weeks, so if anyone knows where I can get a reasonable deal on a new or used kid's rig and board, let me know, OK?

Lisa Stark-Berryman
lisasb@pacbell.net
Bullroarer_Took

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2.5 m2 complete kids rig that has only been used a couple of times available here in the bay area. PM me if you are interested.
windbetty

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing. We have a 2.0 and a 2.5 Hifly kid's complete rigs that are in great condition. You can call or email us if you're interested and in the bay area. I can probably ship these as well.
Also, we teach kid down to the age of 4 and have tons of kid's camps in the sumemer.

-Rebecca
Boardsports School
"Best of the Bay," 2004, 2005, 2006
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: kids windsurfing Reply with quote

I got my excited daughter a rig, board, wetsuit, etc. so she could learn, and her excitement lasted about two sessions. When she realized that she wasn't able to sail perfectly right off the bat, her interest disappeared. Now, that's just her, and maybe your kid is different, but I would consider renting or a sailing camp before investing $$$.

At least he don't wanna be a kiter. Not that there's anything wrong with that....
lsb

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Kid's rigs? Reply with quote

I've tried to mentally prepare my son for the fact windsurfing has a slow learning curve, but you're right, he may get sick of it. Still for me, I didn't get into the sport until I had my own rig that was my size.

It'll probably depend on how cheap a rig I can score...

Thanks for the input,
Lisa.
sbouchard

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely should start with a few 30 min./1hr lessons before buying all the gear. After a few lessons, you'll see if he wants to pursue the adventure. You'll have to go to his pace.

Good used Kid's board like the Starboard Kiddy and alike are very tough to find. Sails are not really an issue. Rebecca has a few used Super Freak in her shack.

When you're ready to buy gear, buy small sails to start with. Your kid will have more fun that way, rather than struggling with large sails. My son is 7 yrs/58lbs and he sails 1.2 and 1.6 in wind from 8 to 20 mph. He's been sailing for 2 years now. He's doing very well but he's not quite ready for the 2.1 yet. Rebecca started him.

Ask Rebecca above, for lessons and used gear. You can also call Jeff Anderson, at Hot Sails Maui for used Kiddy boards and sails.

I wouldn't start w/ 2.0 or 2.5 sails. Way too big to begin with. It'll be too hard to handle and he'll get discouraged.

Be patient and never put any pressure on the kid.

It is not an easy sport for young kids.
npure2001

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have started my 6 and a half year old son last summer on a 2.2 kids rig (by Gun Sails). I just put it on the family board: Starboard Start L (225 liters/100 cm wide). He is like on an island. The board has a very soft surface which helps avoid abrasions. Very light winds (2-6 knots). We'll see if he sticks to it this summer. I think he will since there are two others waiting in line... The 2.2 rig was about $250. I have the center fin installed, which is crucial for staying upwind. I figure this year he will take the five year old cruising on that board. Last year we sailed together a lot. He was holding on to the mast and the foot of the sail, when not sitting on the nose. All the spray was on him (he was shivering and smiling a lot), so I got him a wetsuit this year.

Gabor
windbetty

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Help with Kids Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you're in the Bay Area or not, but we've taught 1000s of kids. We do have very small Superfreaks, but most are new or like new (we now have about 10 kids specific rigs ranging from 0.8m - 3.2 meters). The prices will be cheaper than ordering brand new, but not as much as you might like giving that some have only been used 2 times. I can also order any Hot Sails Kid's rigs for you.

If you do live closely, I suggest an hour lesson on a very small sail and wide board with our instructors. We have specifically designed instruction for kids. If you're not in the Bay Area feel free to call me. I'm happy to provide plenty of advice on sail sizes, effective boards, effective/critical teaching techniques, etc.

All the best,
-Rebecca
Boardsports School
info@BoardsportsSchool.com
lsb

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: kid's rigs advice Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice, his dad and I are discussing whether we want to start with lessons -- that probably does make the most sense. We live in Santa Cruz, so we're not too far away from the lesson centers.

Rebecca, I'll definitely be in touch about lessons and your prices on the Superfreaks...would you mind e-mailing me with those prices? My address is lisasb@pacbell.net.

Regardless of what we choose, our attitude is that he only has to do it as long as he's having fun ... and praise, praise, praise. I don't really expect any proficiency for a long time, I just want him to think it might be a fun thing to do someday. Even though I learned back in the days of 9-foot booms and Dacron sails, I vividly remember how stupid and hard I thought the sport was -- until I got my first ride!

Lisa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: