myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anyone sail Big Bear Lake in CA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennisrodger

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Anyone sail Big Bear Lake in CA? Reply with quote

I recently took a few trips to Big Bear Lake and it appears to be windy and white capping on the lake pretty regulary. Anyone have any advice on sailing there??
dbogarus

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have heard of windsurfers getting good sessions in the extreme
eastern end of lake in springtime with offshore winds, probably
one of those spots you have to be there to catch it, ( and have
a REALLY good wetsuit, or drysuit!).
dabull1

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sailed Big Bear several times in the summer months back in the Bic Wing/ Rocket Express days. Big saiil and floaty board is the call since the air is less dense at altitude of roughly 5,000 feet. I used to sail off the point at the Big Bear Village Marina out in front of the restaurant that was known at that time as the Crowsnest, occasionally even get invited in for a post sail beer by the owner for entertaining the clientel...pretty cool ehh?Also, I've launched on the Fawnskin side of the lake, also with good results. Both spots had good exposure to the afternoon winds coming off the dam. Isabela it's not, but for a morning of mountain biking at SnowSummit and an afternoon cool off, it's not bad Smile Bull
peterm

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: can be gusty Reply with quote

I sailed there years ago and recall it being pretty gusty due to surrounding terrain.
dennisrodger

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Big Bear Lake can work Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I just gave it a shot this weekend and I'd give it mixed reviews. The water is definitely cold and the wind can be flukey. I sailed at the east end of the lake and found that with the wind coming from the west end there was a pretty good wind swell that built across the lake. That combined with some boat traffic created some nice ramps. I started out on a 115 liter board and a 6.4 sail and later went up to a 7.5 sail. Also, I was a little surprised to hook quite a few weeds on my pointer fin so I'd recommend a weed fin if you want to avoid the fin first sailing weed removal dance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: