myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gorge Freestyle Frenzy Highlights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
argusbud

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Gorge Freestyle Frenzy Highlights Reply with quote

I was so busy sailing the big wind in the Central Gorge this morning, I missed attending the competition. My loss and appologies to the organizors and competitors. How about recounting the highlights in this forum. Any new or unbelievable moves? How did the freestylers take advantage of the 30 MPH day? Did a crowd turn out? Any surprise competitors? Thx for filling me in.

GaryPdx
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the event for about 2 hours - didn't stick around for the final heats - so I don't know who won. The competition was amazing. The day was perfect - clear skies and winds in the upper 20's. I would've been out on my 3.7m or even 3.2m. The swells at the Hatchery were huge. I arrived around 9:15AM and the parking lot was closed off - completely full. Had to park 1/2 mile away and walk in. About 100 spectators were on the jibeatorium rock wall. They had an announcer and a good sound system for the commentary.

Heats were: women, men, masters, frenzy, and prokids. Everyone got to sail twice and then they had the championship heats. Heats were 7 minutes long - it was very well organized and everything went smoothly.

The sailing level was off the charts - doing tricks in these conditions is tough and these guys (and gals) made it look so easy. The ladies rocked - lots of forwards, big air, and vulcans. The men's open category featured "gorge style" tricks (no spock or flakas) and was really fun to watch. They were boosting huge airs and lots of shove-its. The masters (over 35) were equally impressive - especially Patrick Bergeron. These guys were really working the big swells.

Of course, the pros were off the charts. I couldn't even tell what kind of moves they were doing, but it all looked amazing. Huge push loops and spin loops just a few feet from the rocks. Vulcans, spocks, grubbies, flakas, wymaroos - you name it - they were nailing them.

My favorite was the prokids - these little dudes are incredible. Kai Lenny was the standout - not surprisingly. However, there was this 10-year old kid (can't remember his name) who was completely fearless on the water. Can't wait to see him in a few years.

A really fun event - kudos to Royn for putting it on. Hope they do it again next year.
bobg[/img]
Temira

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Freestyle Frenzy Champions Reply with quote

Men's: Jake Miller (huge forwards in light wind)
Super Frenzy: Wyatt Miller (amazing spinning tricks)
Master's: Peter Najim (so good he could be in the mens!)
Women's: Temira Wagonfeld (can't give myself kudos. I'll leave that for someone else!)

T
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: