myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Car camping, Hood River
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingswd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been living in HR for 7 years and visiting regularly from Portland for 8 years prior. While many of us locals have been working to find a solution, the community is divided and the season is incredibly short and makes it hard to justify from a business perspective. Regardless, there is a need that goes unsatisfied.
However, in my visiting experience, never once was there a need to find camping in town. We never associated "camping" with town. Remenber that Oregon and Washington are blessed with ample National Forest Land that we all own and can use for free. Get creative, go out and find some sweet CAMPING spots and enjoy nature. If you want to stay in town, rent a house. There are plenty to choose from.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingswd wrote:
in my visiting experience, never once was there a need to find camping in town. We never associated "camping" with town.

Some people go to Paris and eat only at MacDonald's, or to the Gorge and sail only at the Event Site or Celilo. Go figure.

\m/
raysal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: the wall Reply with quote

I like sailing The Wall. Then I camp there. Done.
jhaniboi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: any udates on situation Reply with quote

It's july and I am planning my trip.

Are the cops hasseling campers?
Any change at walmart?

Are the discrete campers feeling the heat.

Or is it the same as it's allways been. Be creative and you will slip by.

I remember when bingen was a bustling town in the summer. Every one stayed in bingen. Eat drank and washed clothes there then slept at the marina. When they kicked everyone out the town dried up.
pablomerc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, Bingen shot themselves in the arse! Since then, I avoid spending a nickle in Bingen. Re the HR parking situation, it seems to me that "The powers that be" have decided that low-life campers are not welcome. I'm saying this because I've heard the HRPD is checking vans, campers and RVs parked on the street at night to make sure no human is inside. All part of the "Grand Plan" to promote the gentrification/yuppification of HR.

My gripe is that no other option was planned for or offered for those of us who simply want an overnight parking (not "camping") spot. Last night, (July 4th - fireworks show), people were allowed to park overnight in the event site parking lot. AFAIK, there were no problems. Why can't this be offered nightly during the summer for a reasonable fee (say, $5) with some simple rules (self-contained vehicles only, no outside cooking, no loud music/noise, etc). There's already an on-site "caretaker" to monitor and report any problems or "issues". This could at least be done on a trial basis and, if unforeseen problems arise, terminated.

What am I missing? Insurance liability issues? Pressure from campground owners? I know I'm not paying $500 per month to park in a commercial RV "park"! Please, enlighten me.
pablomerc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the statement made earlier on this forum that people are working hard to resolve the overnight parking issue in HR, I found no mention of this issue while searching the HR City Council agenda & minutes archive.

I searched on "parking" and "overnight" for the past 6 months and found nothing relating to this specific issue.

Whoever those "hard-working" people are, they apparently are not on the HRCC!

If anyone has information showing otherwise, I'd like to hear about it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: