myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need information
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andydavis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it's foggy on the coast, the Delta can be pretty consistent +25. "Powerlines" is usually the best. Go here:
38° 4'41.19"N
121°44'57.87"W
(for some reason the .kmz extension of google earth placemarks is not allowed on this forum)
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johann......since nobody answered your question , allow me to. Go to Crissy when the fog is pulling back towards the bridge 3-4oclock, and the its EBBing, meaning the tide is going out. Look for low tide late in the day, not high tide. All you will need is a 5.0 sail and 80 ltrs. and you'll be fine. Like the other posts , the 25kt wind you refernced at Berkely must have a mistake or misread.

Boggsie
carl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
All you will need is a 5.0 sail and 80 ltrs. and you'll be fine.

Boggs,
Johann said he is quote "a big man". I don't think he'll be "fine" with 5.0 and 80L. Especially if he has never sailed Crissy and doesn't know how to tell if the wind inside is dying. Good chance to have another Coast Guard search and rescue though.
MOTOP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:

Boggs,
Johann said he is quote "a big man". I don't think he'll be "fine" with 5.0 and 80L.

Seriously, untill we have exact specs for the rider and his gear, all precise recommndations are worthless. If he was "swimming" in Berkeley in the past 10 days or so, I wouldn't recommend taking that gear to Crissy.
windsrf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johann,
Nice to meet and chat with you today at His Lords/Berkeley. As you found, today with avg of 23+/- (note - that is only the sensor reading, which most consider higher than experienced on the water) didn't work for you and your largest 5.4 sail. That is probably primarily due to your size - I estimate 220+?? I was quite happy at 185 pounds on my 5.8 and 98liter board on the other hand.
As several of the posts have noted, Crissy would be hazardous due to currents. Although I mentioned 3rd Ave to you, it is also NOT a place where you want to wind up trying to swim given the strong currents. So, best advice is to quickly pick up a 6.0-6.5 used sail and start enjoying yourself! As noted, Berkeley winds have been rather special this past week. David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: