myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kiters at Leo, continued...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Traig for the response to my most recent post. While I have found that the Lifeguards (at El Capitan and Refugio) will sometimes advance themselves in a similar authoritarian role like the State Park Rangers, they are quite different roles in the normal scheme of things as you so correctly pointed out.

However, for unruly folks that present themselves as a danger to other park customers and guests, including those in the water, I thinking that the formal enforcement responsibilities of the State Park Rangers could more appropriately be used to stem unacceptable activities. This would relieve the Lifeguards of formal policing type activities, which I'm sure they would prefer not to tackle anyway.

In highlighting this slightly different approach to the problem, I'm not advocating that the State Park Rangers be super aggressive and dictatorial with an ultra strong police type attitude. Personally, I would prefer a softer more cooperative approach. No reason why reasonable warnings couldn't be used to inform and control things in a responsible way. Those that continue to behave poorly would ultimately pay a steeper price for irresponsible acts.
flynbri

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Hit & Run Reply with quote

I'm a kiter/windsurfer and I really try to give every windsurfer the right of way. But reading these comments really activated me when they mentioned hit & run. I got hit by a jet skier at Seal beach in 1996, broke three out of five bones running from toe to ankle, put me out for six months. It was some 18 year old kid jumping a swell and landed right on me. If I has not seen him coming and tried to wheelie out of the way, I probably would have been killed. He asked if I was all right and I said no my foot is broken and he took off.

My point is this: NO ONE SHOULD BE ALLOWED ON THE WATER WITHOUT SOME BASIC TRAINING IN WATER SAFETY. There ought to be a California Sailing license with a test and yearly fees. You can't sail at a beach w/o license & insurance. I know it's harsh but it would certainly cut down on all the morons on the water.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jet skiers suck! I have had them do donuts around me at Cabrillo and nearly run into me at Isabela!
tweeky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
it's tough to get away with using a deer rifle in a liberal state even though the law does arguably -- in some states explicitly -- authorize it)\m/

Deer Rifle to solve a recreational dispute?! These are the REAL nut jobs that we need to keep off the water! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: