myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Event Site is better this year than ever

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aosmith

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Event Site is better this year than ever Reply with quote

Staring at the satellite photos of the Event Site this winter & spring, I was wondering if I'd ever want to sail at the Event Site again. But IMO, it's better now than ever.

Sure, you can't show off your jibe skills anymore, but there are several new advantages for windsurfers:
    - Landing at the kiting sand bar beats getting blown downwind to the marina when you're first learning
    - Launching on the west side and jibing by the piers in front of Luhr-Jensen actually helps spread out the sailors and ease congestion
    - Better kids beach play area (east side of beach)
    - The water's warmer in the launch area now that Hood River is diverted to the east
    - "The Dawgfather" hot dog stand is a great place to nosh at the end of a long day

While it's true there are more kiters around, they've been very courteous, and in a way, the shared launch area brings the two sports closer together.
updraft

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by updraft on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:19 am; edited 3 times in total
mik377

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points. Despite it being a circus even midweek it seems like people are chilled out and friendly this year. But I wouldn't let my kids swim at the east spit area on a very windy day and it seems like some onlookers are completely oblivious to the dangers of flying equipment on land and also wont bother to get out of the way when you are trying to haul your equipment down to the water.
kinderhund

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were there over July 4 weekend, and it was a zoo, but again people were very courteous most of the time. I generally prefer to sail other spots, but with 3 young kids this year, it worked very well. Plus, my wife was learning to WS, and the sandbar was absolutely ideal for this. Reminded me of days long gone doing the same at the Marina... Back when you could buy a hot dog for a nickel...
scot.davidson@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Event Site better than ever? - For Kiters? Reply with quote

These relatively positive posts convinced me to give the Event Site a try a shot, sailing it for the first time, this season, on Thursday. I have always liked the convenience of the site for parking, rigging and flat to swell conditions across the reach. I too, sail west off the pilings.

I was surprised that the physical changes in the delta had little effect when it comes to sailing at the site. On the other hand, I did notice a big change in the number of kiters on the water directly in front of the park and and west.

Kiters and sailors were mixed from the spit to the pilings. With a kind of "lane" sailing that sets up in a congested site I really felt the impact.

This condition existed both when sharing a reach or on opposing reaches. Given the big footprint a kiter needs (& I want to give them) I could find my self with literally no where to go.

This had nothing to do with courtesy - I don't have any complaints with the behaviour of the kiters, just that I was super aware of the congestion on a Thursday in September, and wondering if others have experienced the same? To me, it feels like the Event Site is going to be a place for kiters.
mik377

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to give kiters their props. They have been on their best behavior. despite having floundering wsers in "their" shallow launch zone. I try to go upwind and jibe around the metal pilings, seems not to be alot of traffic there. The only thing that keeps me from going to the event more often is the erratic wind which ususally dies out, and the chop is pretty harsh until you get out into the channel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: